BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gremney
Calcite | Level 5

I previously installed SAS 9.3 on my Windows 7 platform but then i updated to Windows 10. I tried opening uninstall but it showed "This application does not support your platform.".

What can I do?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

there could be an option to go back to Windows 7, through: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1235b5b0-bf94-4b77-9cbd-1c1a8337070c/going-back-t...

But I guess this is not what you want.

In that case, I would follow the steps previously provided: 

Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows Vista (32-bit operating systems)

• Start Windows Explorer: Right-click the Start button and select Open Windows Explorer.
      • Delete the following directories. Note that these are the default locations.
        • C:\Users\user-ID\AppData\Local\SAS
        • C:\Users\user-ID\AppData\Roaming\SAS
        • C:\ProgramData\SAS
        • C:\Program Files\SASHome

Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows Vista (x64 operating systems)

• Start Windows Explorer: Right-click Start button and select Open Windows Explore.
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\SAS
      • Delete the following registry entries if they exist.

Warning:

SAS is not responsible when you edit the Windows registry: changes in the Windows registry can render your system unusable and require that you reinstall the operating system. Always back up your registry before you make any registry changes. For assistance, see Windows Help, Microsoft documentation, or the Microsoft Windows website.

Open the Registry Editor dialog box: Click Start and type regedit on the Run line or in the Search Program and Files search box.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAS Institute Inc.

• Reboot your PC. Log on with the local administrator account that was used to perform the original installation or as an administrator. See SAS Note 5055: "Administrator of the machine versus being part of the administrator group."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Reinstall the system.

The other way would be to manually clean everything SAS out of the registry by hand, and remove the SAS tree from the Program Files directory.

Cleaning the registry by hand will take much more time than a clean reinstall of the system and other software.

For Windows 10, you need SAS 9.4. Always check system requirements of installed software before upgrading the system.

With Windows, my standing recommendation is to not use a new major release before 2 service packs have been released. Up to that moment, MS software is by definition in open beta test and not suited for production uses.

That's not a snark, but the result of 30+ years in the business and having to deal with MS products.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

indeed, as @Kurt_Bremser indicated, only SAS 9.4 M3 is compatible with Windows 10. 

The only way, also as hhe suggested, is to clean up the registry and do a hard delete of your folders. And, still, there will be some garbage in your windows registry.

A second option, if you don'w want any gargabe at all, would be:

- to update your software to SAS 9.4 M3 (best solution, if you ask me, if this is allowe by your company policies)

- to reinstall completely your windows system, brand new. I think this is very expensive on time and efforts.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There are quite a lot of SAS notes about uninstalling various SAS versions including this one:

http://support.sas.com/kb/44/362.html

You could also try running SAS 9.3 Deployment Manager in Windows Compatibility Mode as described here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Is the compatibility mode actually working for the SDW or SDM? Amazing.

Looking forward to know if it actually works for this case.

gremney
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you guys! Did not have the time to try out all solutions yet, but will try so when i sort out the backup issues. I would not like to have a system re-install as it's too much of a trouble for me. I was not aware when i clicked upgrade in Windows and I thought there's small background update for SAS but seems not the case. It's going to haunt me for some time... The issue is ... I installed this SAS when i was a student and hence i do not have key code for the 9.4 version. Not helping to the situation at all.....

Thanks! 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

there could be an option to go back to Windows 7, through: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1235b5b0-bf94-4b77-9cbd-1c1a8337070c/going-back-t...

But I guess this is not what you want.

In that case, I would follow the steps previously provided: 

Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows Vista (32-bit operating systems)

• Start Windows Explorer: Right-click the Start button and select Open Windows Explorer.

Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows Vista (x64 operating systems)

• Start Windows Explorer: Right-click Start button and select Open Windows Explore.
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\SAS
      • Delete the following registry entries if they exist.

Warning:

SAS is not responsible when you edit the Windows registry: changes in the Windows registry can render your system unusable and require that you reinstall the operating system. Always back up your registry before you make any registry changes. For assistance, see Windows Help, Microsoft documentation, or the Microsoft Windows website.

Open the Registry Editor dialog box: Click Start and type regedit on the Run line or in the Search Program and Files search box.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAS Institute Inc.

• Reboot your PC. Log on with the local administrator account that was used to perform the original installation or as an administrator. See SAS Note 5055: "Administrator of the machine versus being part of the administrator group."

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation