BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

Occasionally our Oracle database is down during work hours.  This causes our pre-assigned Oracle libraries to (eventually) time out.  It takes a fairly long time to timeout, and this causes issues with one of our web applications, as the lengthy startup for the workspace server causes the web application to abort.  It also causes EG to take a *long* time to start the workspace server.

Is there a setting, either on the Oracle libname statement, or in the Oracle client (even better) that will cause this scenario to "fail fast"?

And if there are reasons why this would be a bad idea, please let me know.  But, when Oracle is up, the connection is quite snappy, so I would think I could shorten the timeout period a lot without causing problems.

Thanks,

Scott

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Do you use the DEFER = YES option on your Oracle pre-assigned libraries? We use it on all of our external database pre-assigned libraries as it helps speed up connections to workspace servers and helps reduce timeout problems because database connections are only established when they are actually used, rather than being active throughout the workspace server sessions.

AndrewHowell

Scott - do they need to be pre-assigned?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation