BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I'm looking for an example to apply Hotfix in SAS 9.4. Appreciate if someone of you help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The installation instructions (example: http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/B/B6Q/B6Q002/xx/r64/B6Q002r6.html) point you to the SAS Deployment Wizard and SAS Deployment Manager 9.4: User's Guide that has a whole section with step-by-step instructions for the process. If that does not do it for you, have someone else who is more capable do it.

You need to have at least basic familiarity with your operating system, and a solid knowledge of your SAS setup, along with having a current backup, is in order.

But basically it is just "do as you are told", there's nothing more besides the VERY GOOD documentation that I can think of.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The steps for applying a SAS 9.4 hotfix are fully documented in the SAS Deployment Wizard/SAS Deployment Manager 9.4: User’s Guide. Please see page 30 here. Be sure to read the instructions for the hotfix you are applying. Some SAS hotfixes require manual steps to completely and correctly apply, those steps are documented in the individual hotfixes instructions available on the support website.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I never applied hotfix before and I would like to know one example to see
how it is being applied.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The installation instructions (example: http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/B/B6Q/B6Q002/xx/r64/B6Q002r6.html) point you to the SAS Deployment Wizard and SAS Deployment Manager 9.4: User's Guide that has a whole section with step-by-step instructions for the process. If that does not do it for you, have someone else who is more capable do it.

You need to have at least basic familiarity with your operating system, and a solid knowledge of your SAS setup, along with having a current backup, is in order.

But basically it is just "do as you are told", there's nothing more besides the VERY GOOD documentation that I can think of.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Babloo,

there is no examples out there. I mean, each company applies hotfixes, and some of them actually have to document each hotfix application. But be aware that this information is private for each company, hence, not shareable.

I think you already had great answers, go through the general documentation on the guide, then check tin the hotfix report if the hotfix requires additional steps, and you will be good to go.

So, kindly find below some general/suggestions:

- Prepare yourself, read the documentation and the possible manual steps (pre and post), and estimate time/effort

- Download required hotfixes, of course

- Schedule downtime and communicate to users

- Stop Services

- Backup / snapshot to have a rollback scenario, and keep it until all is validated and a bit longer

- Pre-steps (if any)

- Apply hotfixes with the SDM

- Post-steps

- Make another backup or snapshot

- Start services

- Validate technically

- Let a Key user to validate

- Communicat users they can access, if all went well

- Rollback if something went wront and if needed, and communicate it to users

- Decide what to do with snapshots/backups

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation