BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
linjan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello! I need some help/tips on structuring/organizing PATH-caslibs for a "semi-multitenant" SAS Viya Kubernetes installation.

I only have one cas-server (cas-shared-default) that is used by two separate groups of users from org1 and org2.

Org1 and org2 each have a folder on an NFS-mount, and they're creating their own subfolders structures containing datasets (xlsx and csv files).

The folder structures are as shown below.

/nfs-mount/
├── org1/
│   ├── 202405_ListingA.xlsx
│   ├── 202405_ListingB.xlsx
│   ├── 202407_ListingA.xlsx
│   ├── 202407_Listingb.xlsx
│   ├── imports/
│   │   ├── 202406_areas.xlsx
│   │   ├── 202404_codes.xlsx
│   │   ├── 202405_definitions.xlsx
│   │   └── 202404_names.xlsx
│   ├── tests.csv
│   └── code.sas
├── org2/
│   ├── 'Codes and groups.xlsx'
│   ├── 'Codes and groups (2024-07-01).xlsx'
│   ├── 2024-07-01/
│   │   ├── f-codes.xlsx
│   │   ├── f-totals.xlsx
│   │   ├── i-codes.xlsx
│   │   └── i-totals.xlsx
│   ├── 2024-09-01/
│   │   ├── f-codes.xlsx
│   │   ├── f-totals.xlsx
│   │   ├── i-codes.xlsx
│   │   └── i-totals.xlsx
│   └── history/
│       ├── f/
│       │   ├── f-totals001.xlsx
│       │   ├── f-totals002.xlsx
│       │   └── f-totals003.xlsx
│       └── i/
│           ├── i-totals001.xlsx
│           ├── i-totals002.xlsx
│           └── i-totals003.xlsx
└── common/
    ├── exports.csv
    ├── definitions.csv
    └── distributions/
        ├── distribution1/
        │   └── exports.csv
        └── distribution2/
            └── exports.csv

So their respective folders are structured differently. And they also share a folder called "common" that has yet another folder structure.

I first created a global PATH-caslib for each top-folder. I.e.

• caslib ORG1 with path = /nfs-mount/org1
  • caslib ORG2 with path = /nfs-mount/org2
  • caslib COMMON with path = /nfs-mount/common

However, in SASDataExplorer those PATH-caslibs only show files from the top-folder of the path as tables. Files in subfolders are ignored and can't be loaded into memory from there. And I can't create another PATH-caslib for the subfolders as I get the following error.

ERROR: The caslib ORG1_IMPORTS is a duplicate, parent or subpath of caslib ORG1.

How do you normally work with global PATH-caslibs to structured folders? Users from org1 and org2 don't want to put their data files in their respective root folder; they want their source data files structured. And they don't want to wait for a SAS Administrator to update global caslibs whenever a folder is created/edited/deleted.

Logically, the folder org1 is considered as its own "database", but it doesn't seem possible to map all its subfolders to a single global caslib (that is then mapped to a single library). It doesn't seem like I can connect multiple caslibs into a single library either.

The only (disliked) solution I can see is to create caslibs per subfolder (and keep these as updated on request). And disallow sub-subfolders. I was kind of hoping that at least the Import function in SASDataExplorer could load subfolders, but I can only get it load files of a folder into a single table (that won't work with org1's and org2's data).

Perhaps there's some magic SAS code that can load subfolder data into separate in-memory tables? That converts the relative path to a unique table name.

Any insights or descriptions of how others handle this scenario are welcome.

1 REPLY 1
Majkee
Calcite | Level 5

I also need a solution for this. Anyone?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation