BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
me_turcotte
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

at first, I had a small problem which is now a HUGE problem.

When I was opening SAS I received theses messages :

ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see   the installation instructions or system administrator.

ERROR: The Java proxy is not responding.

But I was able to run sas anyway...

So I went to this page and followed instructions there : http://support.sas.com/kb/44/853.html

and now I received this message : ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup.

So, then I thought I should uninstall completely SAS and reinstall it. But now that I receive this message, I cannot run sas management anymore so I cannot uninstall it...

Could anyone help me... fast ?? I have urgent work to do on sas during the weekend!

Thank you!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I guess you have uninstalled java before uninstalling all other sas products.If yes then you need to install java again and try to uninstall all the sas products and then last uninstall the java.

But in some case after installing java and try to uninstall sas products will not work out if java version/path is changed (in this case you need to change configuration setting by going into installation directory of each product  SASMC->sas9.2->configuration settings->change the path of java to he version you haveinstalled

The command to execute (must be a fully qualified path)                ;

; e.g.: C:\j2sdk1.4.1\bin\java.exe  )

If you have already done the configuration also then you can run deploymentmanager->config.exe and remove all the existing configuration(if you do in this method what ever services got created also gets uninstalled properly)

Delete all the sas related things from registry and temp directory before you do fresh installation.

Thanks,

Shiva

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You can go back to the old fashioned way of removing programs by using the control panel to remove each of the pieces. (the Add/Remove Program task under Control Panel in Windows XP).  I would typically also go into the "c:\program files" and remove any SAS directories that are there to force SAS to reload everything and get a cleaner start.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

rickpaulos
Obsidian | Level 7

Can someone explain why Java (Not a SAS product) is involved with SAS starting up, running, installing or uninstalling?

Why would SAS be dependent on another company's product to work properly (other than the OS)?

Will my SAS work okay if I just ignore the error.

JAVA is sure to update sometime between SAS updates so it's now guaranteed to be a fail.

"ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup.

NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2010 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.

NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.3 (TS1M0)"

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Java is just another tool in the toolkit.  The rhetorical question of "Why?" is unlikely to be answered on the forum.

SAS does not require Java to run (other than for display of some graphics).  If you use the Java tools for updates it will continue to work fine (there will be multiple Java's on your PC).  However, if your IT support does a brute force rip-and-replace, it will fail because the SAS config is not kept up to date (been there, done that).

The SAS uninstall tool is a Java script.

jaredp
Quartz | Level 8

rickpaulos, your questions require knowing how software is developed.  Read the first paragraph from here: What is Java and why do I need it?

Libraries and tools like Java assist programmers to develop software more easily and cheaply. If you are really curious, read this: High-level programming language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The most likely cause of your problems is that a newer incompatible version of Java has been installed on your PC by your IT support people.

The easiest way to fix this is to roll back to the previous version of Java - This is something your IT people should be able to handle. Check in the Control Panel or on your hard drive to find out what version(s) you have installed.

SAS components that require Java to work include SAS Management Console, SAS Info Map Studio. SAS EG should still work. Base SAS will

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As SASKiwi suggests the simplest solution might be to rollback to the previous JRE in the previous installed location.  If your IT/admin people don't want to do that (perhaps they forced an upgrade to get a more recent version with security patches) then you can point them at the following document: Configuring SAS® 9.3 to Use an Alternative Java Runtime Environment or Java Development Kit. There they can check the supported JRE/JDK versions and find instructions for pointing the various SAS products that may be installed to the new JRE install location.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation