BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Pallab_sas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Experts,

I would like to use the File Transfer option while scheduling a job in the SAS Management Console. My objective is to import a file to the server from the local desktop before running my scheduled job and also want to export the output from the server to my local machine. I have tried to use the option for my scheduled job, the script looks for the transferred file to import it but doesn't find it. The other part of the script has run successfully. The log also doesn't capture this file transfer part. Has anyone used it before successfully? Can someone please suggest where am I going wrong in using this? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Pallab

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What File Transfer option are you referring to? Is it the FTP FILENAME option or something else? Please bear in mind that your SAS server cannot by default probably reference your local desktop computer hard drive.Typically there are firewall rules in place preventing any unauthorised network traffic

I suggest you discuss your requirements with your SAS administrator who should be able to come up with a suitable alternative. A better option would be to transfer files to and from a file server share that is "visible" both from your desktop and the SAS server. Or an even easier way is to have SAS server folder shares available on your desktop via Windows Explorer. That way you don't need to transfer files at all.

Pallab_sas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi @SASKiwi ,

Thanks for your prompt response. I am referring to the below screen in the Schedule Manager in SAS Management Console(SMC). Actually, my intent is to copy the file from Local C: drive to the SAS server before I run the scheduled job and I want to automate this part of my job as well. As I use SAS EG for other ad-hoc jobs, I use the Copy File option in EG, as it is not possible to do this transfer job via SAS Script, but within SMC, there is no such option available. If you know of any other option to schedule the transfer of files from C: drive to the SAS server, kindly let me know. Many thanks.

Regards,

Pallab

File Transfer Page in SMCFile Transfer Page in SMC

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Pallab_sas  - Correct, the Copy File process in EG doesn't use SAS code, so you can't schedule it in SMC. There is no SAS code alternative unless you have full SAS installed on your PC, not just EG.

Please follow the advice in my previous post. What OS does your SAS server run on? If it runs on Windows then setting up a file share is easy. If it's Unix then it is a bit harder. Your SAS administrator can help you to get this set up. It is not something you can do yourself.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I wasn't aware of this option, thanks for pointing it out.

But I'm almost certain that you can't/should copy files from a PC C-drive as part of your scheduling.

Usually C-draves are not avaible for mapping from servers as UNC-path.

Scehduling is mostly about automation. I suggest youu find away to generate this file (why is it a file not a dataset if generated by EG?) automatically on a shared drive/the SAS server, and add this step a part of your scheduled flow.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Pallab_sas  - What scheduler are you using and what version of Schedule Manager? There's no Advanced Properties with the Platform Process Manager (LSF) that I'm using. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation