BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SP_22
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Guys,

I wanted to export one of the SAS user group from Test to Prod. Is it possible to identify particular user group access to which metadata folder? So I can setup the same access in Prod.

Thanks for your help in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

This is certainly possible.

Use SAS Managagement Console. Go to the Folders tab. There you will find the System folder. Open it and then open the Security folder. There you will find the User Group folder. Right-click it and select Export. Click next and deselect any groups you do not want to be part of the export. From there complete the Export wizard.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

SP_22
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Jan for your quick response.

Yes, I can export the user group and import it on Prod. But wanted to know which Metadata folders that user group has access. Is it possible?

Thanks.

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

The access rights would be a property of the folders and other protected objects and not the user groups themselves. Especially when you use ACT's. So you would need to export those as well. As access controls refer to existing groups and user, you would first export the groups, then the ACT's and the the protected objects (folders, ...). At time of import you are offered the option to include the access controls.

Kind regards,

-- Jan.

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

If you are open to considering commercial products, we have a Metacoda Identity Permissions Explorer plug-in that can be used to export a report of the folders (and other objects) that a user has access to (based on their effective permissions on those objects). You can also export an XML test script that can be used to run tests and verify equivalent access levels in other environments (e.g. dev vs test vs prod). You can register for a free evaluation license if you would like to try it out. If this is a one-off requirement then you should be able to answer your requirement with the eval license. If it is something you are likely to do on an ongoing basis then we hope you might consider a commercial license.

You may also be interested in a blog post about the effective permissions explorers that I wrote a few years ago at https://platformadmin.com/blogs/paul/2012/04/effective-permissions-explorers-sneak-peek/ - I should probably do an updated post as there have been a few improvements since then 🙂

Cheers
Paul

SP_22
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Paul for the Metacode option. I have installed Metacoda and tried it on the another client but I can't install where I'm working now.

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

No worries. It's good to hear you have used it before.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation