BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
danhertanu
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

We used to run SAS 9.2 32 bit on a Windows 7, however as we need to get rid of this old OS, we deployed a Windows 10 and attempt to install the old 9.2 version. The installation went fine but then we got into some issues and found some articles here saying that running 9.2 on Windows 10 is not a good idea. 

So, long story short, we contact our account executive, got a proper license for 9.4 and uninstall the old SAS 9.2. 

I used SAS Download Manager and create a SAS Software Depot, then run the installer - all good with 9.4 installation ... so we thought...

Now, the issue ... when we run a script, we get this error "ERROR: Unable to load oracle client (oci.dll)
ERROR: A Connection to the oracle DBMS is not currently supported, or is not installed at your site.".

I dug here and did some reading and, as far as I understand, the problem is related to SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle. I used sas.tools.viewregistry.jar and I can see  SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle listed in the report output. I also tried different approaches by restarting the installer. The product is also listed in the license file. However, I can't find that oci.dll file anywhere on this Windows 10 computer. 

Can anyone help me to get to the bottom of this issue?

Thanks,

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
It sounds like you've installed SAS but not the Oracle client installed and configured on this new machine.

From the system requirements documentation:
https://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwx6sr/66390/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle
Base SAS is required for the installation of SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle.
You can install an Oracle client on the same machine as SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle, or you can
use an Oracle server in place of the Oracle client.
To use the Bulk Load feature of this SAS product, you must have the Oracle SQL*Loader dataloading utility installed. This utility can be obtained by running the Oracle installer and selecting the
Oracle Utilities product. Refer to your Oracle documentation for information on SQL*Loader.
SAS has extended SAS/ACCESS and SAS In-Database Technologies support to selected cloud and
database variants of supported data sources. For a list of the supported variants, see
https://support.sas.com/en/documentation/third-party-software-reference/9-4/support-for-database.htm....

DBMS Products Required:
• Oracle Database 11gR2 or later
• Oracle Client 11gR2 (64-bit libraries) or later
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
It sounds like you've installed SAS but not the Oracle client installed and configured on this new machine.

From the system requirements documentation:
https://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwx6sr/66390/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle
Base SAS is required for the installation of SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle.
You can install an Oracle client on the same machine as SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle, or you can
use an Oracle server in place of the Oracle client.
To use the Bulk Load feature of this SAS product, you must have the Oracle SQL*Loader dataloading utility installed. This utility can be obtained by running the Oracle installer and selecting the
Oracle Utilities product. Refer to your Oracle documentation for information on SQL*Loader.
SAS has extended SAS/ACCESS and SAS In-Database Technologies support to selected cloud and
database variants of supported data sources. For a list of the supported variants, see
https://support.sas.com/en/documentation/third-party-software-reference/9-4/support-for-database.htm....

DBMS Products Required:
• Oracle Database 11gR2 or later
• Oracle Client 11gR2 (64-bit libraries) or later
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
danhertanu
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, much appreciated.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation