BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

We have been hitting the sort execution failure recently on our batch jobs. memsize in sasv9_usermods.cfg was already set .

Appreciate if someone confirm that if we apply changes to the sasv9_usermods.cfg file to adjust sortsize, do we need to restart our SAS servers or it will automatically be in effect on our next batch run?

The config file I'm pertaining to is the one which usually sits in the SAS/Config/Lev1 foldfsor

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

You can use " proc sort SORTSIZE=max "  to overwrite system's option sortsize, no need to reboot your server.

And what is your ERROR info when you running proc sort ? Maybe it is not problem from memory's size  .

Xia Keshan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I understand it batch jobs run in their own SAS session and not via any SAS services. As long as your batch job is run in the Lev1 environment, say for example using the LSF scheduler in Management Console then it should pick up your config.

You can confirm if your settings are working or not by running PROC OPTIONS in a batch job.

Ksharp
Super User

You can use " proc sort SORTSIZE=max "  to overwrite system's option sortsize, no need to reboot your server.

And what is your ERROR info when you running proc sort ? Maybe it is not problem from memory's size  .

Xia Keshan

milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks I forgot it can sortsize can be overridden in the option statement as well. Apparently I am still having some sort execution failure even with 4G set on sortsize.

Ksharp
Super User

If your table was really big big , proc sort can't handle it . I suggest the following code to sort :

data F M;

set sashelp.class;

select;

when(sex='F') output F;

when(sex='M') output M;

otherwise;

end;

run;

AND APPEND THEM ALL TOGETHER:

proc append base=want data=F force;run;

proc append base=want data=M force;run;

Xia Keshan

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation