BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shoin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Do i have an alternative and a way how to, if i do not wish to install in /opt/sas path?  How I change that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alexal
SAS Employee

We are following the Linux filesystem hierarchy standard (FHS), so the answer will be no, you can't change it. As was mentioned already you can create a symbolic link for /opt/sas.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have only ever installed it under /opt/sas so I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you but, if I did need to do this, I would look into options for the SAS Orchestration Command Line Interface (CLI) tool used to generate the playbook, and then the various config files in the playbook itself.

BTW the same question has been asked by @Asif4862 in the SAS Viya community so you might want to keep an eye on that thread too in case it gets an answer: https://communities.sas.com/t5/About-SAS-Viya/How-to-change-SAS-Viya-3-3-installation-and-configurat...

shoin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you.  We ended up doing a link .

Cheers,

gsuresh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Paul,

My question is one step ahead, 

Do we have any option URL Redirect on SAS Viya ? where as we have it on 9.4 like DNS external link change from host name ?

Best Regards,

Suresh

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi @shoin

What is the reason for changing the default ?

For support purposes, it will help keeping to the defaults. We as SAS employees look at many installations over time and it helps a lot if our customers keep to the defaults. It saves us time hunting down non-default configurations.

As an alternative, you could always install in /opt/sas and have a symbolic link from /sas to /opt/sas Helps me and you 🙂

alexal
SAS Employee

We are following the Linux filesystem hierarchy standard (FHS), so the answer will be no, you can't change it. As was mentioned already you can create a symbolic link for /opt/sas.

Mojza
Fluorite | Level 6

The problem we face at many sites is that it is not possible to install 3rd party software to this default. My personal experience in financial institutions, they have policy to install software to lets say /app or /services etc. Forcing the default is not going to help with stubborn sysadmins...

alexal
SAS Employee

@Mojza ,

You can always use symbolic links. There will be a problem with starting up RabbitMQ, but you can easily resolve it.

Mojza
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you, the fundamental question still stands. Isnt it a good idea to enable customisation to the root path? With the switch from 9.4 to Viya it will definetly become issue as the policy of not using the standard FHS is very common as sysadmins want their system and "the other stuff" separated.
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @shoin,

was your question answered successfully? If so, could you please mark the right answer, as solution?

Otherwise, please let us know other questions or comments you have remaining.

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

Juan

wbutt
Calcite | Level 5

Be careful with symbolic links with SAS installations.  I tried one a couple years ago with SAS VA and it broke the SAS Environment Manager Backup tool.  Just the small gotchas when you least expect it.  You are better off ensuring the size of the filesystem you decide to go with is adequate enough for future growth, backups and hotfixes.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 8 in conversation