BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I'm trying to create a client depot (SAS9.4M4 without Base SAS) and run setup.exe -subsetclients from my PC(windows 7), but Base SAS is still included as products in the created depot. If I missing something or why SAS Foundation products is still including in depot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @Riana

As mentioned previously, if you want to install SAS/STAT for instance (as per your screenshots) you also need to install Base SAS.

And depending on your selection, Base SAS is selected by default and you can remove it from that selection.

Said that, from the previous screen you can choose to only have a subset for Client products.

Please have a look at the below screenshot

Under By products, instead of using the default value, select Client products.

SpecifySubsetOptions.png

That way you won't have Base SAS with your subset depot.

Cheers,
Damo

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi Riana

What client(s) are you including in your subset depot ?

Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

SAS EGuide, and other products but not SAS Foundation and products related to it(Base SAS, SAS/ETS,..).

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I've found the standalone installers for SAS EG and SAS Add-In to Microsoft Office are better if these are all you want.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Agree with @SASKiwi

@SASKiwi, isn't there is a restiction on the stand alone installers that you then cannot install depot-only clients afterwards ?, or something along those lines. Not that it's a problem if so, just need to understand the pros and cons of the stand alones....

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@nhvdwalt - I haven't found any such problem. The standalone installers are simpler and easier to use than the deployment wizard, but if you want to install say Management Console, then you can run the deployment wizard just to install that.

Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

There are many other products that I need to include in client depot, e.g. SAS/CONNECT, SAS provider for OLE BD, SAS management console,.. if I'm able to add these products and some other in this standalone SAS EG installation? 

But I would like to know why when I run -subsetclients, I still getting Base SAS? is it something I missing during the creation of depot or is it problem with SAS?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS/CONNECT only works with Base SAS. Unless you are doing a full SAS install on your PCs there is no point to trying to install it. Same goes for OLE DB - should be on the SAS app server only.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Thanks @SASKiwi, some good answers.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Our approach is to use the standalone installers for all SAS users for EG and the SAS Add-in to MS Office and then only install Management Console on SAS Administrators' PCs. This assumes you are not installing Base SAS on PCs, just going with thin SAS clients.

Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

I've attached all products(plus SAS/CONNECT, SAS/CONNECT Driver for Java, and SAS Providers for OLE DB) that I need to include in clientdepot(checked box). We had them in SAS9.4M2 clientdepot.

Some of users schedule jobs in Management Console and need to have it installed on their own PC.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

I must be honest, it's a weird product set. For example, what is the client setup that has SAS/CONNECT, SAS/CONNECT Driver for Java, and SAS Providers for OLE DB installed ? Sounds weird.....

If I can make a suggestion. Carefully consider and then provide an absolute list of clients.

As @SASKiwi mentioned, OLE DB is not the way to go, so why would we need SAS Providers for OLE DB ? Also, SAS Client Configuration will come as part of SAS Enterprise Guide, so don't worry about it. So the list might look something like this...

END USER

- SAS Enterprise Guide

- SAS AMO

ADMIN

- SAS Management Console

- SAS Enterprise Guide

- SAS AMO

..etc.

Based on this list, you can then do a proper segmentation of the depot, which might even mean more than one subsetted depot.

Just a suggestion.....

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I notice you have Base SAS ticked. Are you intending to install Base SAS on PCs as well? If this was not selected a lot of the other selections would probably not be ticked. Base SAS gives you the SAS Windowing Environment which is another interface to SAS along with EG. If you have never seen these this link shows what they look like:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2017/04/12/whats-your-sas-interface/

Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @Riana

As mentioned previously, if you want to install SAS/STAT for instance (as per your screenshots) you also need to install Base SAS.

And depending on your selection, Base SAS is selected by default and you can remove it from that selection.

Said that, from the previous screen you can choose to only have a subset for Client products.

Please have a look at the below screenshot

Under By products, instead of using the default value, select Client products.

SpecifySubsetOptions.png

That way you won't have Base SAS with your subset depot.

Cheers,
Damo

Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you @Damofor your reply. I could create the depot without Base SAS , but the new depot is only 4 GB. The depot we have for SAS9.4M2 is 11 GB. Is it something that  should be considered?( I selected the same products we have in M2 depot for M4)

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation