BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Fawkes
Calcite | Level 5

Hi guys,

Now I have 40 values for one variable (character). I would like to use these 40 values to generate a list and apply this list in another database to select certain observation. For example, I have 40 names of dog breeds in one database (A) and another database (B) contains information of dog id, breed name, and dog weight. What I need to do is to choose the dog ID from the second database (B) whose breed name appear in the database A.

My plan is to create a character list with the function concatenation and then I got stuck. How should I introduce this list into the database A? Does anybody do something similar and give me some suggestions? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best regards,

Fawkes

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Have a look at the documentation on fedsql: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/fedsqlref/67364/HTML/default/viewer.htm#titlepage.htm

Although that is probably overkill.  Just connect to each database separately, and extract the data in SAS.  Then in SAS do your processing:

proc sql;

connect to ...;

create table a as select * from connection... (select...);

diconnect from ...;

connect to ...;

create table b as ...;

disconnect...;

quit;

data xyz;

...;   /* Do processing */

run;

acfarrer
Quartz | Level 8

Have you considered using a SAS macro variable to pass list of values? It can be a very efficient technique.Something like this:

proc sql noprint ;

select quote(variable_name) into :value_list separated by ' ' from libname.source_table ; /* quote() may not be needed */

quit ;

%put &value_list ;  /* For checking */

Then query the other database:

select * from other_table where variable_name in ("&value_list") ;

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation