BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SDV
Obsidian | Level 7 SDV
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the task of configuring the SAS Intelligence Platform on Redhat Linux 6.x across three servers and need to have the firewalls (iptables) configured on each server.  So far it seems like we are set for the Metadata & Compute servers and now we are configuring the MiddleTier server. 

I have a question based on what is stated in the Middle Tier Administration Guide on page 45:  "To prevent these issues, you

can modify the firewall configuration to permit traffic to Java applications. Alternatively, you can manually update the SAS configuration to ensure that ports in the appropriate range are available through the firewall."

Then in the next paragraph the doc it discusses setting the JVM options to accomodate a firewall.  The question that I have is whether or not I will need to open the ports in the firewall based on the ports used for the JVM settings?  I think so, but confirmation would be great.

Maybe the "Alternatively" sentence above is meant to refer to opening the large port range:1024-65535

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You would need to update iptables with the ports or port ranges for each jvm.

I believe the "alternatively" language/statement is saying that instead of updating iptables, you could configure your SAS applications to use ports already allowed on iptables (instead of the default ports).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You would need to update iptables with the ports or port ranges for each jvm.

I believe the "alternatively" language/statement is saying that instead of updating iptables, you could configure your SAS applications to use ports already allowed on iptables (instead of the default ports).

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation