BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_1001
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

We need to change the sas installer account as we are trying to integrate all the accounts through AD.  How can we go about and be able to change the SAS installer account.  Subsequently, we need to use the changed account to apply the patches, update the license, etc.

Thanks

-S

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Just create the new install account in AD giving it the same permissions as the existing one and then use it for any new installs or maintenance. As long as the existing account hasn't been used to run any SAS server services then that's all you need to do, except perhaps for disabling the old install account.

Using the install account to run BAU SAS processes is not good practice. It should be used purely for installing and applying maintenance.

SAS_1001
Obsidian | Level 7

well, I need to update the license with the new USER and is not letting me to do the task, asking me to log in as an original installer account to implement the license.  However, old IDs have been purged due to AD integration.  So, I need to change internal installer account from 'sasold' to 'sasnew'.  Let's know if anyone has done this.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Where is it asking you to log in with the original installer account? In instructions, SAS Deployment Manager or another SAS tool? Providing a screenshot would be helpful.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Have you made the new installer account part of the Local Administrators group? I am assuming you are installing a Windows server(s).

SAS_1001
Obsidian | Level 7

This is a Linux Env. The sas installation is standalone on a single linux node, no grid setup.

SAS_1001
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, while launching sasdm.sh script.

Error:

The current user 'sasnew' is not the same user that last installed to this SAS Home location. The user that last installed was 'sasold'. It is important to perform all SAS deployment tasks using the same user in order to retain appropriate ownership and permissions of files.

SAS_1001
Obsidian | Level 7

well, this link is also not helpful as it's suggesting to look into registry.xml file but no instructions about changing it.  Question is: can I change with the new user in the registry.xml file?

/<SASHome>/deploymntreg/registry.xml

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Have you seen this blog post by @RobCollum ? https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2014/01/29/managing-multiple-users-of-a-sas-installer-account/

It seems that SAS Deployment Manager supports a -skipusercheck command line option if you are confident that the user you are running it as has the appropriate permissions to be able to update the deployment.

Personally I would check I have a good backup before using this option so I have the option to revert if anything goes wrong.

SAS_1001
Obsidian | Level 7

Certainly, will try this option. Thx.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation