BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EdwardJin
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS administrators & co., 

I'm going to take the certificate of SAS Platform Administration  for SAS 9. And, I'm wondering if I should purchase "PE-250P: Practice Exam SAS Platform Administration". 

I'd like to ask what would you do and why. 

Many thanks in advance. 

BR./Edward

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Dear @EdwardJin,

I took the exam and I am also advisor for other colleagues at my company. On my experience, I think the test exam is not needed (I've never took it), if you have learn the Administration Guides, have the opportunity to play with those configurations and learn the impact,of each of them, you should be good to go.

Other items of course can be an advantage, such as this test, had SASAdmin experience or have taken the SAS Platform Administration: Fast Track course. But they are not a requirement, they only help you to give you some background on the topics.

At the end of the road, the choice is always yours.

Does it help to you?

Kind regards,

Juan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Dear @EdwardJin,

I took the exam and I am also advisor for other colleagues at my company. On my experience, I think the test exam is not needed (I've never took it), if you have learn the Administration Guides, have the opportunity to play with those configurations and learn the impact,of each of them, you should be good to go.

Other items of course can be an advantage, such as this test, had SASAdmin experience or have taken the SAS Platform Administration: Fast Track course. But they are not a requirement, they only help you to give you some background on the topics.

At the end of the road, the choice is always yours.

Does it help to you?

Kind regards,

Juan

EdwardJin
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Juan, 

It did helps me. 

Thanks for your reply. 

BR./Edward

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

It depends upon your (1) experience in SAS Admin - if yes (you might answer no if the exam is taken before an admin position), how long have you been an admin ? (2) personal familiarity with the documentation - have you read it from top to bottom (for some years, not during a week-end!) or some excerpts only here & then  (3) the SAS training mentioned by @JuanS_OCS - have you attended the complete admin course ?

I didn't attend the SAS training session and I took the exam after 3-4 years of daily SAS administration tasks followed by a massive (re)reading session of the 5-10 guides covering the curriculum the month before. Never purchased the Prep guide, I don't even know if it was available then (2011). An in-depth knowledge of the technical guides is a pre-requisite but if you don't feel experienced enough in practice - or confident enough in your practical skills, then why not buying the Prep guide ? 

Good Luck !

EdwardJin
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Ronan, 

I'm a beginner of SAS admin, and taking courses for a coming project. 

Thanks a lot for your detailed advice. 

BR./Edward

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You're welcome, Edward. I wish you a successful exam. One last small hint : prepare yourself by carefully assessing your knowledge beforehand ; I usually print down the curriculum and review line by line each topic mentioned. The list is exhaustive, never miss one point unless you're ready to improvise during the test. 😉

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There is now a more elaborate , articulate & relevant answer - than mine -  to Edward's post  :

see Matt Scicchitano - from SAS - very engaging post :

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2017/08/24/how-to-prepare-for-a-sas-certification-exam/

He even acknowledges that candidates sometimes ask directly by email the SAS certification team for advice : where could one find a more authorised source ? 

EdwardJin
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Ronan,

Thanks for your sharing.

Guess what, I'm opening it when I saw your message!

And, the info you highlighted can be helpful. I might do that as well. Smiley Happy

BTW, I think I probably will postpone the exam plan, since I'm kind of busy lately.

BR./Edward

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation