BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
navnath2589
Calcite | Level 5
Hello Everyone,
I am Navnath just completed my graduation in computer science. I got an offer to work as SAS administrator (SAS installation). I am hoping to get some guidance on SAS administrator role in terms of future career growth and money perspective. Please help me.
5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The SAS adminstrator role is definitely not an entry-level position. Since this is apparently your first SAS job, you need to ensure that you will be getting appropriate training and mentoring. For example SAS offer a 5-day SAS adminstration fast track course to teach you just the basics! Ideally you should be working alongside an experienced administrator who can provide mentoring.

Typically experienced SAS administrators, installers and architects are highly paid because their skills are rare and are in high demand. It will take you at least five years to go from beginner to experienced and you never really stop learning.  The best advice I can give is to keep learning something new every day. SAS software is continually evolving and becoming more complex and you need to keep current to be a successful administrator.

carl_sommer
SAS Employee

My advice is like the others, and while I work for SAS, it's just my advice.

Find the person that is the go-to person for the group you join.  You know, the person that always has to handle the hard problems.  The person that has people lined up out there (perhaps virtual) office door to ask them a question.

Find ONE problem or duty that you can off-load from their plate.  Become an expert in that.

Once that's done, or even when you are just half-expert, and are thus freeing that person up to focus on other hard stuff, come back and take ONE MORE problem or duty off their plate.

Over time, you'll become that person that everyone goes to for help and guidance.

Also, become a student of the SAS documentation.  That's very daunting, so pace yourself, and don't expect the first time reading it to make you an expert.

When new releases come out, ALWAYS read the What's New.

Best wishes for success as you start your career,

Carl Sommer - SAS Technical Support

navnath2589
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks everyone for guidance and support.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @navnath2589 
In your situation I would go for this opportunity and work with full dedication.
In an year or two one gets a reasonably clear  understanding about the profession.
If the role fits in the overall life goals  and expectations, you can continue otherwise for a recent college there is still time to change.  
It would say that Salary is important but overall work life balance and personal preferences matter.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 5 in conversation