BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

We are looking for deploying SAS 9.4 ts1m3 on Windows server(x64), it's a 3 servers installation (process,meta,web).  Can we have both version running on the same servers ?

Does the setup check for any previous install and take steps to upgrade instead of a full install ?

Thanks!

Laurent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From my experience, installing a SAS maintenance release is painless. It means replacing lots of already installed modules, and no or almost no changes in configuration files. If you followed the rule of putting your modifications in the _usermods files, it will come down to stopping the services, run the update, and restart the services, where stop and restart of web application server(s) will take the longest.

Do it on the Backup/Testing/DR server first, and you'll be good.

When I think of all the hassle you will have with selecting alternate network ports, a parallel install will be a major PITA and not worth it.

(anecdote: when installing 9.2 side-by-side with 9.1.3, I chose a network port of 8083 for one of the jboss interfaces, as 8081 and 8082 were already in use, and netstat showed 8083 to be unused. When the SSN installation wizard tried to start the servers, it always failed, and jboss complained about 8083 being in use. After two weeks of repeated install tries and consternation, I finally found that jboss uses 8083 internally. Would have been nice if the installation wizard had made me aware of this)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

On UNIX, I'd give you a clear yes, as it is sufficient to have different SASHOME paths so that different SAS installations don't overwrite each other.

Care has to be taken when selecting network ports for the servers, though.

On Windows I'm not sure if there is sufficient differentiation with the registry entries, if such are used.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
When you run the Deployment Wizard it would most likely detect the existing SASHOME and SASCONFIG directories from the original install, but you can choose new SASHOME and SASCONFIG directories so you can perform a parallel installation. I think the main thing you will need to do in the configuration phase is to make sure you specify different ports for all services so there is no conflict with your existing installation. For example, metadata server defaults to port 8561, so you'd need specify something like 8562 for your M3 installation.

I'm sure there's other things I'm missing, but that's what comes to mind.
tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, good to know before we proceed.  I imagine we will have to do this on every tier. I'll meet with my Windows server admin et will decide where we will be going with this.

Thansks again 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'd be interested to know why you are planning to install two mantenance releases on the same servers.

I can understand why you would install different versions separately like 9.3 and 9.4, but with maintenance releases upgrading the existing release is more usual.

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Well I guess, we are insecure, it is our first maintenance release with SAS EBI and my Windows server admin is really cautious about it.   Just the documentation is pretty long to read.   As a SAS user before SAS EBI I use to install SAS/pc easily, but since it is on a server I don't have the credential to toy with the installation, I have to go trought a server admin and they have "The power to NO" Smiley Frustrated

I'll have to sharpen my negociation skills.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Thanks for that. The reason I ask is that we will be doing a maintenance release upgrade shortly ourselves.

However we have two SAS environments: Production and a DR (Disaster Recovery) so we are able to apply maintenance to DR and test it without affecting current Production Smiley Happy  

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

We too have another environnement for testing... that's why I was really surprise by his request to have a parallele install... I guess some Windows server admin are more fearfull than others...

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From my experience, installing a SAS maintenance release is painless. It means replacing lots of already installed modules, and no or almost no changes in configuration files. If you followed the rule of putting your modifications in the _usermods files, it will come down to stopping the services, run the update, and restart the services, where stop and restart of web application server(s) will take the longest.

Do it on the Backup/Testing/DR server first, and you'll be good.

When I think of all the hassle you will have with selecting alternate network ports, a parallel install will be a major PITA and not worth it.

(anecdote: when installing 9.2 side-by-side with 9.1.3, I chose a network port of 8083 for one of the jboss interfaces, as 8081 and 8082 were already in use, and netstat showed 8083 to be unused. When the SSN installation wizard tried to start the servers, it always failed, and jboss complained about 8083 being in use. After two weeks of repeated install tries and consternation, I finally found that jboss uses 8083 internally. Would have been nice if the installation wizard had made me aware of this)

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

One last thing, with ts1m0, SAS studio wasn't available, when we will install ts1m3, will SAS studio be install automatically or is there a procedure to do so ?

Thanks again.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
It should install automatically, assuming it's in your plan file and license (though I think it's always bundled with EBI).

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation