BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shirishkamath
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All, I am currently running SAS 9.4 M3 enterprise edition and would like to know if I can upgrade only SAS Studio from v3.5 to v3.7? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
alexal
SAS Employee
The answer is no. You have to upgrade SAS to version 9.4 M5.
shirishkamath
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Alexal,

Thanks for your reply. How does upgrading SAS 9.4 from M3 to M5 differ than installing SAS 9.4 M5?

shayne
SAS Employee

Hi shirishkamath

Updating from SAS 9.4 M3 to M5 does not require uninstalling SAS software, whereas a fresh install of SAS 9.4 M5 on an environment where SAS 9.4 M3 is already installed would require uninstalling first which is time-consuming and unnecessary. The update path is recommended over the fresh install. Note that updating from an existing 9.4 release to a later one usually takes less time that performing a new installation. I hope this helps answer your question. 

Please see the SAS Maintenance Process page for more information about obtaining an updated SAS 9.4 M5 package, and see the SAS Guide to Software Updates for more information about performing an update.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about the update process either on this thread, or you can open a technical support track

Thank you for using SAS!

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @shirishkamath,

a few things that might help you.

- First, an upgrade, when possible, is generally preferable to a brand new installation: you won't need to migrate stuff, less time (within a day, normally), no new hardware required, etc etc.

- Second, and going to the point. Perhaps @alexal is updated and he is right, but I think it is worth a shot to check if you can upgrade SAS Studio without upgrading other components.

- This guide shows how to do it for upgrading to 3.5 https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2016/08/31/quick-way-update-sas-studio-3-5/

- This hotfix will allow to upgrade 3.5 to 3.6 without upgrading the complete platform http://support.sas.com/kb/57/898.html

- Hence, you can either upgrade to 3.6 for sure, or you could contact SAS Technical Support to check if there is an updated hotfix or procedure to upgrade to SAS Studio 3.7. I would recommend any of those 2 options to you.

Hope it helps! Either option you will chose, please update us to know what is the latest option to move forward.

Kind regards,

Juan

alexal
SAS Employee

@JuanS_OCS,

That doesn't apply to SAS Studio 3.7. You have to be on SAS 9.4 M5.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation