BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jkaran123
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Is there any way to possibly create a Right click batch submit option in SAS Linux license or by default any option of batch submission.

Or it's any way to create the option using batch script or any other way to possible please suggest us.

Thank you 

5 REPLIES 5
rudfaden
Pyrite | Level 9

There is no button in the sas editor for batch submit. But you can batch submit from the terminal. Ask your admin for the command.

SAS Help Center: Batch Mode in UNIX Environments

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

If you're running regular Foundation SAS (no EBI / Viya etc) one option could be to install SASjs Server and use that as your batch executor.

Docs are here: https://server.sasjs.io

It's an MIT open source REST API for SAS, works on both windows & linux.  You can trigger batch jobs by right click (launch Stored Program) or by calling the API endpoints from another application.

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Yes it is indeed possible to run a batch script by double clicking it on the Linux desktop for example gnome desktop.
A simple and rudimentary approach is given below. It is assumed that SAS is locally installed. You need to experiment a bit.
I don't have SAS installed on the Linux Desktop and haven't tested it. (Linux servers typically don't have a desktop environment installed).
Step 1: Create a batch script say myscript.sh to run the sas program and make it executable.
This could be something like this. Modify to suit your needs.

/full_path_to_sas_executable/sas myprog.sas

Step 2:Create a script   myscript.desktop and keep on the desktop. The content of the script will be as follows. Make appropriate changes to reflect your situation.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=MyScript
Comment=Test hello world script
Exec=/home/user/yourscript.sh
Icon=/home/user/youricon.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application

Step 3: Double clicking the MyScript on the desktop will run the script myscript.sh

It is possible to have a more refined system using dialog of zenity or may be GTK+ or Java. It would be techically possible to select the batch script to be executed. Adequate programming skills on the Linux environment needed.

Quentin
Super User

Can you say more about your use case?

When you say right-click, that suggests you've got a GUI environment running on linux?  If so, which one?

Typically on a simple SAS install running on linux, batch submitting a sas program at a command prompt is as simple as:

sas myprogram.sas

If you've got a SAS9 metadata server it's slightly more complicated, but I think SAS provides a shell script, sasbatch.sh, to help with all the configuration/metadata server stuff. On my server, you can batch submit from a command prompt something like:

sasbatch.sh  -sysin ~/myprogram.sas

EG never added a batch submit button, sadly.  I haven't used Studio, but I thinik it has a "background submit" button which is a batch submit.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you have a metadata-enabled SAS installation on Linux which means you have a working metadata tier, then the easiest way to run batch jobs in my opinion is to use the Schedule Manager functionality in SAS Management Console. If you aren't familiar with SMC, it is a PC-installed tool that allows you to connect to your SAS server and run or schedule batch jobs via a GUI - you avoid using command lines completely.

Schedule Manager automatically builds and runs a SAS batch command line behind the scenes and puts all of the batch logs in one folder, nicely time and date stamped so they are all in one place and in time order.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation