BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MartinDoughty
Calcite | Level 5

Background:
We are installing SAS 9.4M7 Office Analytics at a new SAS customer.

They will be using SAS Studio as their main SAS application in a totally Windows environment.

They work in the Pharmaceutical / Medicines sector, so all the work has to be GxP compliant, pre-documented, automated as much as possible, etc.

They are also starting to use GitHub Enterprise as their Version Control System. They will be making use of the SSH features available in GitHub for connections.

They make use of Active Directory (AD) and LDAP. So all the people that will have SAS access are in certain AD groups. Some of these people will also be in AD groups that let them have GitHub access.

We will be providing them with an AD-Sync program that will create/maintain SAS profiles.

We are familiar with how Git profiles can be manually set up in SAS Studio, with an email ID plus Public and Private Keys.

Question:
Is it possible to automate the creation of these, per user, Git Profiles within SAS Studio?
If so then does anyone have working examples of this functionality being used in their AD-Sync programs?

Thanks !!

5 REPLIES 5
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Looks like these are stored in the user's home directory under ~/.sasstudio/state/sasstudio.GitSettings.key which is a JSON file, so it seems like something that could be automated with access to their home directories (i.e. root). You could in SAS code build the JSON and create the file but you'd probably need sudo to stage it.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
RichardP
Quartz | Level 8

I discovered that after deleting this GitSettings.key I can still see my existing profiles in SAS / Studio. Logging off and back on will not recreate this file. I can also create new profiles and clone repositories and still this files is not created. It would appear SAS is also storing this information somewhere else. 

RichardP
Quartz | Level 8
Update: On Windows, this file can be edited and the results are immediately visible in SAS/Studio. However on Linux (Viya platform) there seems to be some other process happening.
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I suspect the file was opened and remains open prior to deletion, so while deleting it removed is descriptor (name/path) the file wouldn't be fully inaccessible until the process holding the file open ends, so Studio is still able to read and write to the file. This is how Linux file systems handle files, and would explain why the behavior is different in Windows. This should not impact the question of how to stage these profiles though.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
RichardP
Quartz | Level 8

aha this makes perfect sense. Thankyou!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation