BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
abbala
SAS Employee

Hello SAS Admins:

I’m presenting a live “Ask the Expert” webinar on August 4th, 11 AM – Noon ET entitled The Basics of SAS® Viya®4 Administration. I’ll cover the SAS Viya 4 architecture, the Kubernetes method, and how Viya 4 is different from previous releases of SAS. I’ll also demonstrate the key concepts for successfully administering Viya 4. Bring your questions. I’ll host a live Q&A session at the end of the webinar.

You will learn:

• IT skills required for Viya 4 administration.
  • The basics of containers and Kubernetes.
  • About Viya 4 deployments.
  • Logging and monitoring.
  • Stopping and starting.

Reserve your spot for the webinar.

Want more tips? Be sure to subscribe to the Ask the Expert board to receive follow up Q&A, slides and recordings from this and other SAS Ask the Expert webinars.

Can't join the live event? You can view this and other Ask the Expert sessions on-demand here.

3 REPLIES 3
touwen_k
Quartz | Level 8

my question is how cas is loading the tables into memory? I am trying to load 3 tabels which are on nfs share but I have made caslib for that. The tables have old SA4 9.4 extension and not SAShdat. All 3 tables require disc space of 180GB. Is cas dupplicating the tables on every node? Is cas when loading to memory using also cas cache because the extension is different than SAShdat? My cas cache is still on empty dir.  I would appreciate a lot to have answers to these questions. Thank you Karolina

abbala
SAS Employee

Q: Is cas duplicating the tables on every node?

A: CAS partitons the data to spread is across CAS nodes. By default, it makes a single replicate copy, also partitioned across the nodes, such that each node would have two unique partitions. If a CAS node were to go down, this allows processing on the data to continue, because a copy of that CAS node’s data partition would be located on another node. The number of replicate copies is configurable using the copies= option on the LOAD statement of PROC CASUTIL.

Q: Is cas when loading to memory using also cas cache because the extension is different than SAShdat?

A: The way that the SAS Viya Cloud Analytic Services (CAS) Server manages data in memory is a complicated topic – the two links below are handy references. In general, for *.sas7bat, cas-cache will be used.

4 Rules to Understand CAS Management of In-Memory Data

Directing CAS when to use its cache (or not)

Loading Data Using Graphical User Interface

The easiest way to load files that are already in a caslib is within the GUI. Use the Manage Data option in the application menu.

abbala_0-1659033680029.png

Navigate to Data Sources and then to the CASLIB of interest.

abbala_1-1659033680041.png

Click on the table that is to be loaded into CAS and click the lightning bolt in the upper right hand corner.

abbala_2-1659033680076.png

Loading Data Using SAS Code

If SAS code is a preference, below is an example that demonstrates loading a sas7bdat file to a CAS library and promoting it so that it is available to other CAS sessions, while also controlling the number of replicate copies (default is copies=1).

* Start a CAS session called mySession;

cas mySession sessopts=(caslib=casuser timeout=1800 locale="en_US" );

*Generate SAS librefs for caslibs;

caslib _all_ assign;

*Define a SAS libref where files SAS datasets are stored;

libname mydata "/nfs/Data/";

*load to CAS (CASUSER or other CASLIB) and promote;

proc casutil;

load data=mydata.modeldata

outcaslib="CASUSER"

casout="ModelData" promote copies=1;

run;

touwen_k
Quartz | Level 8

thank you very much for your answer. I am reading now all the articles and I will add in my code the number of copies equal to 1.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation