BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Assuming there is a SAS deployment that hosts on machine #1 metadata tier and compute tier and on machine #2 mid-tier, I assume the following sequence of applying hot fixes:

1. run view registry tool on machine #1

2. run view registry tool on machine #2

3. use SASHFADD and deploymentregistry.txt from machine #1 to get hotfixes for metadata and compute tier

4. use SASHFADD and deploymentregistry.txt from machine #2 to get hotfixes for mid tier

5. run the deployment script generated at step 3 on machine #1

6. run the deployment script generated at step 4 on machine #2

Is this the correct approach?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jag_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi StefanG. Your steps 1 through 4 are correct, however, how you apply the downloaded hot fixes depends on your release. If you are running 9.2 then your steps 5 and 6 are correct. If you are running 9.3 and 9.4 you will use the SAS Deployment Manager to install the hot fixes on each tier in the order you list. The usage guide for the tool is found here, SAS Hot Fix Downloads.

Don't forget to review the report for links instructions that require manual post-install steps, such as rebuilding EAR/WAR files.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jag_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi StefanG. Your steps 1 through 4 are correct, however, how you apply the downloaded hot fixes depends on your release. If you are running 9.2 then your steps 5 and 6 are correct. If you are running 9.3 and 9.4 you will use the SAS Deployment Manager to install the hot fixes on each tier in the order you list. The usage guide for the tool is found here, SAS Hot Fix Downloads.

Don't forget to review the report for links instructions that require manual post-install steps, such as rebuilding EAR/WAR files.

akshatadeshpande
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jag,

If i am not wrong, can we use the SAS deployment manager to rebuild web applications. The post install steps will include the redeploy web application steps as well.

What would redeploy actually do? How complex are the steps? And is it necessary to redeploy everytime hot fixes are applied? If it is possible can you please jot down he steps. We are currently using IBM websphere server.

Your advice will be appreciated.Thanks !!!

jag_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi akshatadeshpande. Yes you would use the SAS Deployment Manager to rebuild Web applications. Whether or not you need to complete this step or some other step would be in the doc associated with the hot fix. Links to these docs are provided for you in the HFADD analysis report. Here's an example, Installation instructions for hot fix I84004 on Linux for x64 and the steps are pretty much the same for each application. I think you will find them very explanatory. The instructions for redeploying would be provided in the document (9.4) or via a link provided in the doc (9.3). You only need to redeploy those web apps you rebuild and you only need to rebuild the ones for which hot fixes have been applied. If you just follow the instructions you'll be able to easily tell which ones will require rebuilding.

The rebuild process actually rebuilds your EAR(9.3)/WAR(9.4) file and places a copy of it under the Lev1/Web/Staging and an exploded copy under Lev1/Web/Staging/Exploded. Your WebSphere admins would then use this information to deploy the EAR to WebSphere. A direct link to the page you would want them to refer to would be here, SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Middle-Tier Administration Guide, Third Edition.

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm using SAS 9.4 Grid for LInux.   Is there a way to back out hot fixes to get back to the point before the hot fixes?    It's the policy at my company to have a back out plan included in any implementation plan and to be able to reverse any change.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

A blackout plan is a common required strategy as of ITIL.

You also are needing a tested and verified backup/restore process of the installation. This process can be used for your backout plan.

Another issue with release management is you should have all changes be tested/verified before getting that to your users.

This is often confused to version management as the requirement is to be sure of the involved version.

All this common mandatory processes are badly covered by approaches of SAS looking to be their own world.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
akshatadeshpande
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am running on SAS 9.3 on Windows and i recently installed the hot fixes on the three tiers (metadata, process and mid-tier). I carried out the following steps:

1. I downloaded all the hot fixes on three tiers and placed it in SASHome\InstallMisc\HotFixes\New directory.

2.I brought down the services in the correct order.

3.Ran the deployment manager to apply the hot fixes.

First i applied on mid-tier, then process and then metadata tier

4.Then i brought the services up in the correct order.

My concern here is:

1.What is the order in which the delpoyement manager should be run on the three tiers?(Is the order that mentioned in step 3 correct?)

2.Will running the deployment manager on the three tiers will start the services (like object spawner, metadata , framework server) automatically or should we start the services manually?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

See previous questions and answers.

Do not expect the deployment manager will automatically start the services.

Some fixes are asking manual actions and all changes should be verified.

There should be an operational process for that. The operators response and operational monitoring.

I also posted that there should be a backout plan.  Jag@sas missed that kind of requirement. Getting a feeling of old trial and error approach of whizzkid.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation