BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jaime
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there,

Anyone know if any good 9.2 to 9.3 upgrade walkthroughs out there
for Windows?

We might have to do one soon and I just want a preview of
issues or gotchas others might have experiences.

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Diane_SAS
SAS Employee

Here is a site with lots of information on upgrading: Migration. Also, there are a number of papers available from previous Global Forums. Here's a nice page with a list of papers: Migration: Papers. Of course, I'm partial to the 1st two... Smiley Happy The process does not differ significantly when migrating from 9.2 to 9.3 compared to earlier versions of SAS 9.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Diane_SAS
SAS Employee

Here is a site with lots of information on upgrading: Migration. Also, there are a number of papers available from previous Global Forums. Here's a nice page with a list of papers: Migration: Papers. Of course, I'm partial to the 1st two... Smiley Happy The process does not differ significantly when migrating from 9.2 to 9.3 compared to earlier versions of SAS 9.

Jaime
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Diane. This is very helpful.

I only have one server to work with(no test serverL). So my plan of action
was to install 9.3 and keep 9.2 running in parallel so I can slowly start
migrating and testing the current 9.2 content. Once I migrate what I need I can
shutdown 9.2.

Seems like that should work. But what I am not sure of is
how to migrate the SAS Portal metadata, meaning all the pointers to stored
processes we have on the Portal. Have you tried this before?

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

My two cents, and from reading docs rather than done before

Becareful with your expectation that you'll be able to have running side by side, as you wont be able to run the exactly the same config as you will need to redefine the ports on one of them

Barry

Diane_SAS
SAS Employee

There are some additional factors you need to consider when keeping both 9.2 and 9.3 on the same machine. It is technically possible to do this, as SAS 9.3 installs to its own directory (sashome). If you are running on Windows however, the registry will only point to one instance of SAS as the default program. By default, the SAS installer will update that pointer to SAS 9.3 (or whichever version is being installed at the time). Unix does not have this same issue.

If you do a migration (versus using the promotion tool), the entire metadata tree is copied, which includes Portal content. The assumption is that the pointers to stored processes will be the same path as in the source repository. In a single machine setting, that may be okay. You can always update the references after the fact.

I hope this makes sense.

Jaime
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Diane,

Regarding this " By default, the SAS installer will update that pointer to SAS 9.3". Is there a way of avoiding this default behavior?

Jaime

Diane_SAS
SAS Employee

Windows updates the registry automatically as part of the installation. You can manually edit the registry to change the file associations back to the older version of SAS. Of course, manually editing the registry is risky, so make sure you back it up before you try this.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation