BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SBuc
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Braintrust,

I am looking for determining the rate of elimination of an enzyme present in the serum of calves. the samples have been taken approximately 7 days apart during the 1st month of life. the big issue is that I don't have the same number of samples per subject and that the interval between 2 samples in the same subject also varies. I want to be able to predict with associated error the possible ranges of age based on the enzyme value.

I initially wanted to use PROC MIXED after log transformation of the enzyme to improve normality but definition of the covariance matrix appears difficult / impossible due to the difference interval between samples and variation of samples per subject.

Maybe you could give me some advices / clues / papers referring to that specific type of problem?

Thanks

Type of dataset

Id age_denzyme_IU_L
4 REPLIES 4
sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If I understand the question, the biggest issue is that you want to predict age as a function of enzyme concentration. This means, given your proposed model, that you want to get inverse confidence limits on predicted age. I really don't know where you would find those.

PG
SBuc
Obsidian | Level 7

This comment is right. I wanted to predict age based on enzyme results from animals with repeated samples at various endpoints. the big challenge here is that the day of sampling per calf may change. As well as the interval between sampling.

I was also thinking to do some Bayesian models since prediction is more easily obtained from posterior densities of the models but I am not very used with PROC MCMC.

sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 sld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I had had the same thought as @PGStats initially, but I wasn't sure I was interpreting correctly.

If age is a fixed effects factor that "causes" enzyme concentration (a random variable), I would still use a random coefficients model. You can then use that model for "inverse prediction", also known as "inverse regression" or "calibration". 

I cannot say that I've ever attempted that with a random coefficients model, so at the moment the best I can offer is a few promising links:

Inverse Prediction Using SAS® Software: A Clinical Application

Approximate Graphical Methods for Inverse Regression

On Inverse Prediction in Mixed Linear Models

investr: Inverse Estimation/Calibration Functions  (R not SAS!)

I hope this helps.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation