BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jmorrison
Fluorite | Level 6

Greetings:

I am doing multiple comparisons of least squares means in proc glimmix, with adjust=tukey, in SAS 9.4.

The documentation under 'LSMEANS Statement' for PROC GLIMMIX states the following:

"When you specify ADJUST=TUKEY and your data are unbalanced, PROC GLIMMIX uses the approximation described in Kramer (1956) and identifies the adjustment as "Tukey-Kramer" in the results."

In the output, however, the adjustment is labeled as "Holm-Tukey" not "Tukey-Kramer". 

I can not find any reference for a Holm-Tukey test, and do not understand why it is labeled as such. 

I need to report in a paper with a reference what test I used for the multiple comparison, and now I am not sure what it should be.

Does anyone have any helpful information about this discrepancy?  

The data are proportion cover of plants in plots, analyzed as repeated measures of a factorial design with fixed and random effects.  

Here are the first few lines of data (there are six forests, with 32 to 40 plots per forest, so it is unbalanced).

data cover;
input forest $ plot $ fencing $ miviadd $ year cover;

LBAL b1 fence addmivi 2012 0.11
LBAL b2 fence nomivi 2012 0.18
LBAL b3 nofence addmivi 2012 0.13
LBAL b4 nofence nomiv 2012 0.10
LBAL b1 fence addmivi 2015 0.13
LBAL b2 fence nomivi 2015 0.22
LBAL b3 nofence addmivi 2015 0.11
LBAL b4 nofence nomiv 2015 0.09

Here is the code for the LSMEANS step:

lsmeans forest*fencing*year / slicediff=(forest*year) CL ilink adjust=tukey plot=meanplot;

Here is the top of the output for this section:

Snip.JPG

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jmorrison
Fluorite | Level 6

HI all,

I ended up asking SAS Tech Support about my question. FYI, here is the answer:

You've come across a known bug in the labeling of the effect comparison table. It should indeed be labeled as "Tukey-Kramer", and not "Holm-Tukey".

Janet

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

1. What's your version of SAS STAT (proc setinit;run;) 

2. What version of the documentation are you referring to? 

jmorrison
Fluorite | Level 6

It is SAS 9.4...is there a different version within that for SAS/STAT?

The User Guide is SAS/STAT 12.3.

Thanks,

Janet

Reeza
Super User

Yes, what does the proc setinit show for the SAS STAT. 

It's likely 14.2 or 14.1. Check if the newer docs are the same. 

jmorrison
Fluorite | Level 6

proc setinit just showed the expiration dates fot the components, but the sas support page for it said to use proc product_status to see the verison numners of each component. When I did that it said:

For SAS/STAT ...
Custom version information: 12.3 (maintenance)

So I would think the 12.3 doc I was looking at is correct for this version.

However, I looked anyway at the 14.2 User's Guide and it has the exact same language as 12.3.

jmorrison
Fluorite | Level 6

HI all,

I ended up asking SAS Tech Support about my question. FYI, here is the answer:

You've come across a known bug in the labeling of the effect comparison table. It should indeed be labeled as "Tukey-Kramer", and not "Holm-Tukey".

Janet

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation