BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
superbug
Quartz | Level 8

I am using logistic regression for a project, I want to examine whether prediction residuals differ between groups. From SAS output, it provides both Pearson residual and Deviance residual. If I want to examine whether prediction residual differ between groups, which one should I use, Pearson residual or Deviance residual? As SAS code below,reschi=pr is Pearson residual, resdev=dr is Deviance residual.

I spent some time searching, but I haven't got clear idea yet, so I come here to ask the experts. thanks! 

proc logistic data=Have;
where first=1;
class aaa ppp;
model pass (event="1")=aaa ppp timeaftergrad schoolpass1;
output out=out_first p=prob xbeta=logit resdev=dr h=pii reschi=pr difchisq=difchi; 
run;

4 REPLIES 4
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Well, for the purpose of assessing whether residuals are unusually large, Collett (2003) recommends standardized deviance residuals (STDRESDEV=) or likelihood residuals (RESLIK=), stating that these two residuals perform similarly and are well-approximated by the standard normal distribution. As such, most values would lie between -2 and 2. McCullagh and Nelder (1989) also recommend standardized deviance residuals. Hosmer and Lemeshow (2000) discuss residuals, diagnostics, useful plots, and their interpretation.

superbug
Quartz | Level 8

@StatDave 

Thanks much for your reply!

Another question, in regular regression residual is calculated as yhat minus y observed, could the residual in logistic regression be calculated similarly, say prob estimated minus prob caculated by plugging in the estimated coefficients?

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Those are the same thing - the estimated probability *is* calculated from the estimated model parameters and the input data. You could certainly compute a raw residual as the observed response (either 1 or 0) minus the estimated probability.
superbug
Quartz | Level 8

@StatDave 

Thanks much!

I very much appreciate the information you provided!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 2 in conversation