BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

i would normally use genmod with a log link to get risk estimates, but i notice others reporting poisson regression with Zou's sandwich variance estimator

Screenshot from 2022-02-18 12-03-38.png

The robust error estimate is commonly used to deal with variance underestimation in correlated data analysis. I have applied this approach here to deal with variance overestimation when Poisson regression is applied to binary data.

you can see this used in practice here, for example: ucla.edu_relative-risk-in-sas-using-proc-genmod 

Zou suggests using a modified Poisson approach to estimate the relative risk and confidence intervals by using robust error variances. Using a Poisson model without robust error variances will result in a confidence interval that is too wide. The robust error variances can be estimated by using the repeated statement and the subject identifier ... [on the class statement], even if there is only one observation per subject, as Zou cleverly points out. ... [T]he repeated statement (with an unstructured correlation matrix), telling proc genmod to calculate the robust errors

however, I can't find anything in the sas documentation that confirms Zou's estimator is implied by the use of type=un (unstructured) on the repeated statement (Zou is not listed among the references for the details of genmod: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/statug/statug_genmod_references.htm). I have seen others use type =ind (independent) and claim to be using Zou's estimator. The difference between the correlation matrix is found in the documentation:

Screenshot from 2022-02-18 11-18-15.png

can someone point me to something that confirms how the repeated statement should be specified to implement Zou's method? Note, the 'repeated' statement is a misnomer, it is a single obs per patient, and I wonder if the unstructured and independent correlation matrices reduce the same equation under the circumstances and then the user can specify un or ind.

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

This note discusses various methods of estimating relative risks including Zou's method. With only single observations per subject, all of the correlation structures are the same, so it makes no difference which is selected. 

pmbrown
Quartz | Level 8

it would be nice to see it worked thru numerically. That link simply says: Zou says so, as if it was not known this was a feature of their code (perhaps that is why it is not indicated in the documentation). And Zou states it as a fact and then uses simulations to evaluate it. I'd like to see that the correction -(1/n0+1/n1) falls out when it is a single obs per patient, but i would have to remember the equations. Without knowing the detail it may be surprising that genmod would even run when it is expecting multiple obs per patient and the user feeds it a single obs.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation