BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DAGUTD
Fluorite | Level 6

in proc reg how does sas determine its linear combinations when "model is not of full rank"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DAGUTD
Fluorite | Level 6

This solution is closest to my thinking. Nevertheless, I have not yet been able to replicate the reported results. My suspicion is SAS uses more than just SWEEP to determine its results. Nevertheless, thanks to all who responded and offered suggestions. I already had tried other approaches, such as the suggested eigenfunction one.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

See SAS documentation :

SAS® 9.4 and SAS® Viya® 3.5 Programming Documentation | SAS 9.4 / Viya 3.5
SAS/STAT User's Guide
The REG Procedure
Details --> Models of Less Than Full Rank
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/statug/statug_reg_details23.htm

Koen

DAGUTD
Fluorite | Level 6

I had read the suggested material, and went back and reread it. My impression is that the multicollineary subsets come from either the GINV or SWEEP function available in IML. My simple test example is

DAGUTD_0-1654461423246.png

in which I include r0 for the intercept term when using SWEEP. Setting r1 to Y and r2-r7 to X, PROC REG reports

DAGUTD_1-1654461546364.png

because the model is not of full rank. I have been unable to replicate this output in IML.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

When colinearities exist, Proc Reg sets certain parameter estimates to zero. Note that which parameter estimate is set to zero (ignored) depends on the order in which it enters the model.

PG
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

When a matrix is not full rank, one or more of the eigenvalues of the X'X matrix are zero. So the corresponding eigenvectors determines the linear combinations reported.

--
Paige Miller
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

PROC REG internally uses a SWEEP operator to compute the regression coefficients, X'X inverse, and the error sum of squares. PROC REG performs a sequential sweep. That is, it always begins by sweeping the second column of (y X)'(y X), that is the first column corresponding to the first X column. Then it sweeps the next column if the pivot is not zero (if the that column is not a linear function of the preceding column). Then it sweeps the next column if the pivot is not zero (if that column is not a linear combination of preceding columns). ... and so on ....

In contrast, a procedure like TRANSREG does nonsequential sweeps, finding the best column to sweep first, then the second best, and so on. The TRANSREG approach tends to be more accurate, but in linear models, you might prefer sequential sweeps to get Type I sums of squares.

DAGUTD
Fluorite | Level 6

This solution is closest to my thinking. Nevertheless, I have not yet been able to replicate the reported results. My suspicion is SAS uses more than just SWEEP to determine its results. Nevertheless, thanks to all who responded and offered suggestions. I already had tried other approaches, such as the suggested eigenfunction one.

DAGUTD
Fluorite | Level 6
Also, StatDave_sas (SAS Super FREQ) posted a reply that did not appear in the listing:

In the PROC REG documentation, see "Computational Methods" in the section which explains this. It is controlled by the SINGULAR= option.

These two answers are what I needed. Again, thanks to all.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation