BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LPC22
Calcite | Level 5

I have four treatments. The variables to study, which are weights and lengths, do not follow a normal distribution and the groups do not have the same variance so the question is: which kind of test should I use?

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

@LPC22 wrote:

I have four treatments. The variables to study, which are weights and lengths, do not follow a normal distribution and the groups do not have the same variance so the question is: which kind of test should I use?

It will help if you can tell us what your research question is. Are you testing for identical means or median? A known/suspected difference in a mean or median? Distribution of values?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Non parametric tests do not rely on the normality of data for validity. Look at the documentation for proc npar1way.

PG
LPC22
Calcite | Level 5
I thought to use Kruskal-Wallis test but data for some variables are heteroscedastic.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Heteroscedasticity might not be a real problem here. Variables such as weights and lengths are typically not very skewed. ANOVA is quite robust to mild non-normality and might be perfectly fine. Heteroscedasticity will cost you some power in K-W analysis, but inferences will remain valid. Try both ANOVA and K-W. If you get similar p-values, you're fine. Otherwise, you should look more closely at your data for outliers, subgroups, etc.

PG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation