BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
juvepirlo
Calcite | Level 5

proc surveylogistic data=sasuser.begin nomcar;
strata sdmvstra;
cluster sdmvpsu;
weight WTFOL2YR;
domain category('1');
class serumgroup/param=ref ref=first;
model diabete(desc) = serumgroup;
run;

As shown in the figure, I am working with the nhanes database, I have grouped serum folate into quartiles to study the relationship between serum folate and diabetes, I used a univariate logistic analysis, but I found that in the final statistical results, the results of the global test are not statistically significant, but in the maximum likelihood ratio estimate, the fourth quartile is statistically significant compared to the first quartile. Why? e3986c501b1eaaedae64956c71f6cd0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Two different statistical tests, each testing different hypotheses, do not have to agree.

The overall test tests the hypothesis (in layman's words) that the model has found a statistically significant effect. In this case, the effect is not significant.

The individual tests looks to see if the coefficient on a single parameter (Serum group 4) is zero, or not. It is different from zero. But we already know the effect of serum group is not significant, in other words the different serum levels are not statistically different from each other. So despite serum group being statistically different than zero, the serums are not different from each other, which is a different hypothesis. No difference between the serums, and no significant intercept; thus model is not significant.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Two different statistical tests, each testing different hypotheses, do not have to agree.

The overall test tests the hypothesis (in layman's words) that the model has found a statistically significant effect. In this case, the effect is not significant.

The individual tests looks to see if the coefficient on a single parameter (Serum group 4) is zero, or not. It is different from zero. But we already know the effect of serum group is not significant, in other words the different serum levels are not statistically different from each other. So despite serum group being statistically different than zero, the serums are not different from each other, which is a different hypothesis. No difference between the serums, and no significant intercept; thus model is not significant.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation