BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
monsterpie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, 

I have a dataset (see example below) of the number of social media posts by platform type and account type. I've run a Fisher's exact test which has turned out to be significant and now I want to determine where the actual differences in proportion lie. For example, I'd like to determine if the proportion of posts by Account 1 on Platform1 are significantly different in comparison to all other account types. I've performed a post hoc test where I made a new dichotomous variable, 1=Account 1, 0=all other accounts and then run a Fisher's exact on this 3x2 table.

EXAMPLE TABLE:

Frequency of Posts

Account1Account2Account3Account4Account5
Platform1     
Platform2     
Platform3     

QUESTIONS:

1) I'm wondering if based on my aims, it's correct to group the columns as I have for a post hoc test. Most examples of pairwise comparisons as post hoc tests that I've seen tend to group the rows rather than the columns. 

EXAMPLE PAIRWISE COMPARISON

Account1All other accounts
Platform1  
Platform2  
Platform3  

Bonferroni p<0.0001

2) From my output, I get 5 p values (1 per each account type). For example, if the p value of my first pairwise comparison (see example above) is significant, then does this mean that there is a significant difference in the proportion of posts for Account1 compared to all other accounts for each of the 3 platforms? Is there a way in SAS to determine which exact cells within one row are significantly different between account types?

1 REPLY 1
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See this note. You might want to fit a Poisson model and then use LSMESTIMATE statements as shown in the log linear model section there to make the comparisons. If desired, you could then gather all of the p-values in a data set and then use PROC MULTTEST to do an adjustment for multiple testing as shown earlier in the note.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation