BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
unnati
Obsidian | Level 7

In Testing interaction effect for logistic regression. Can someone explain me following output. specially "the Type 3 Analysis of effect". I would like to know that PSA*ethnic interaction is statistically significant or not. If it is significant then why and if not then why not ? The following ouput is created using PROC logistic as below:

As per study lesson it says that PSA*ethnic interaction is statistically significant (p=0.07) but as per my understanding p-value should be less than 0.05 to be consider as statistically significant. May be i am interpreting it wrong. 

I appreciate if someone can explain me where i am interpreting it wrong.

proc logistic data=prostate plots(only)=(effect(x=(psa) sliceby=ethnic)
oddsratio (type=horizontalstat));
class ethnic(param=ref ref="black");
model capsule (event="1") = psa ethnic psa*ethnic;
unit psa = 10;
oddsratio 'psa 50 vs 40 for black' psa/at(ethnic="black" psa=40) cl=pl;
oddsratio 'psa 50 vs 40 for white' psa/at(ethnic="white" psa=40) cl=pl;
run;

PSA.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

as per my understanding p-value should be less than 0.05 to be consider as statistically significant.

Your p-value should be less than your cutoff which is typically 0.05 but can also be a different number so it actually depends on exactly how the question was phrased. If it said alpha was 0.1 then the statement it is statistically significant would be correct.

Spoiler

@unnati wrote:

In Testing interaction effect for logistic regression. Can someone explain me following output. specially "the Type 3 Analysis of effect". I would like to know that PSA*ethnic interaction is statistically significant or not. If it is significant then why and if not then why not ? The following ouput is created using PROC logistic as below:

As per study lesson it says that PSA*ethnic interaction is statistically significant (p=0.07) but as per my understanding p-value should be less than 0.05 to be consider as statistically significant. May be i am interpreting it wrong. 

unit psa = 10;
run;

PSA.PNG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

as per my understanding p-value should be less than 0.05 to be consider as statistically significant.

Your p-value should be less than your cutoff which is typically 0.05 but can also be a different number so it actually depends on exactly how the question was phrased. If it said alpha was 0.1 then the statement it is statistically significant would be correct.

Spoiler

@unnati wrote:

unit psa = 10;
run;

PSA.PNG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation