BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
amng
Calcite | Level 5

I have been working with SAS 9.4 for the last few years, and recently tried to run a PROC PHREG with a dataset that is roughly 300 KB. I received the out of resources message, and re-directed my work library to an external hard drive (2 TB) thinking that perhaps my C drive did not have enough space (112 GB are free). However, I still received the out of resources message, and this was after running the code overnight.

Any solutions? I'm not sure whether the problem is with SAS or with my computer...otherwise the computer works fine.

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post your PROC PHREG SAS log including error messages. I suspect you are running out of memory, not disk space. Your log will clarify this.

amng
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, it says it is running out of disk space, I think - this error message and the SAS log are attached. I have run it on my computer (120 GB free before running this program) and also through an external hard drive (1.5 TB free before running the program) and both get me to the same place.

amng_0-1678371764542.png

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @amng ,

Based on the Error in the log, you are running out of temporary disk space for the utility files generated by the SAS Proc.

Typically the utility files would be stored in the same location/drive as the WORK library.

You can customize this by explicitly specify the -utilloc invocation option in your SAS command.

Example: <You SAS installation Path>/sas.exe -config <You SAS installation Path>/sasv9.cfg -work <External Drive>:\ -utilloc  <Drive 2>:\

Hope this helps

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK, it is disk space. Try deleting as many files as possible to free up space. Check for previous SAS session sub-folders in your SAS WORK folder and delete these.

amng
Calcite | Level 5

So is it normal for a 300 KB dataset to take up more than 1.5 TB when running PROC PHREG? I have rerouted my work library to an external hard drive that has 1.5 TB free and it is still saying it is out of resources.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Can you provide details of the files that are taking up all that space please? If they are SAS utility files then that suggests that your PROC PHREG code probably needs some adjusting. Disk usage does appear to be abnormal.

EDIT: I notice that it is taking 50 minutes to run before failing. That suggests that some pretty meaty processing is happening. What happens if you reomove the ASSESS statement for example? Or reduce the number of CLASS variables?

amng
Calcite | Level 5

I reduced the code to one class variable. Without the assess statement, it runs fine. But with the assess statement I get this error message again:

NOTE: Convergence criterion (GCONV=1E-8) satisfied.
ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.'SASTMP-000000029'.UTILITY.
ERROR: File WORK.'SASTMP-000000029'.UTILITY is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: PROCEDURE PHREG used (Total process time):
real time 28:08.36
cpu time 1:32.95

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Well I guess it's progress that you have narrowed down the problem to the ASSESS statement.

I'm moving this post to a more appropriate forum where it should get noticed by Stats experts. You could also raise a Tech Support ticket for this.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation