BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JonKetchup
Obsidian | Level 7

I am doing a log-binomial analysis with repeated measures per subject. When I use the "repeated" statement and create a nested structure per record, is each nest weighted equally or does it depend on the number of repeated measures within the nest? For example, if record1 has 1 observation, record2 has 5 observations, and record3 has 10 observations, is record 3 weighted 10x that of record1, or are all 3 records weighted equally in the model?

proc genmod data = DATA;
	class RECORD TREATMENT VAR1 VAR2 VAR3
		 / PARAM=REFERENCE;
	model OUTCOME(event='1')= TREATMENT VAR1 VAR2 VAR3
			/ dist=bin link=log type3 AGGREGATE ;
	REPEATED SUBJECT=RECORD  / TYPE=IND CORRW;
estimate 'Treatment' TREATMENT 1 /exp e;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MichaelL_SAS
SAS Employee

When you specify a repeated statement PROC GENMOD fits a GEE model, and it might be helpful to refer to the PROC GENMOD documentation section on Generalized Estimating Equations (GEEs). I don’t think this type of model nicely lends itself to a notion of clusters being “weighted” according to their size.

If you look at the estimating equations, you don’t multiply the score function for a cluster by any term that depends on the cluster size. That said, the score function for a cluster i can be written as a sum of the residual from each observation in a cluster times a column of the D_i’V_i^-1 matrix (using the notation from documentation). In that sense larger clusters contribute “more” in the sense that there are more terms in that summation, but again I don’t think it is appropriate to say it is weighted more heavily.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

I moved your post to the 'Statistical Procedures' board.

You get a higher probability for a response over here (with your PROC GENMOD question).

Koen

JonKetchup
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. I appreciate it.

MichaelL_SAS
SAS Employee

When you specify a repeated statement PROC GENMOD fits a GEE model, and it might be helpful to refer to the PROC GENMOD documentation section on Generalized Estimating Equations (GEEs). I don’t think this type of model nicely lends itself to a notion of clusters being “weighted” according to their size.

If you look at the estimating equations, you don’t multiply the score function for a cluster by any term that depends on the cluster size. That said, the score function for a cluster i can be written as a sum of the residual from each observation in a cluster times a column of the D_i’V_i^-1 matrix (using the notation from documentation). In that sense larger clusters contribute “more” in the sense that there are more terms in that summation, but again I don’t think it is appropriate to say it is weighted more heavily.

JonKetchup
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation