BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BayzidurRahman
Obsidian | Level 7

I need to fit a poisson model with offset including restricted cubic spline of a continuous covariate. I want to use the effect statement to automatically generate the spline variables at my preferred values. Can you please let me know what procedures can do it? I can see that proc genmod doesn’t allow select statement.

7 REPLIES 7
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Splines are available in many procedures when you use the EFFECT statement.

The following procedures provide an EFFECT statement: GEE, GENMOD, GLIMMIX, GLMSELECT, HPMIXED, LOGISTIC, ORTHOREG, PHREG, PLM, PLS, PROBIT, QUANTLIFE, QUANTREG, QUANTSELECT, ROBUSTREG, SURVEYLOGISTIC, and SURVEYREG.

GENMOD is in the list!

Go to the Google search-bar and submit :

effect statement spline site:https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml

BR, Koen

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Also, the TRANSREG procedure in SAS/STAT supports spline effects but has its own syntax.

You can enrich your dataset with new covariates (spline effects) using PROC TRANSREG and subsequently use the procedure of your choice.

Koen

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

> You can enrich your dataset with new covariates (spline effects) using PROC TRANSREG and subsequently use the procedure of your choice.

An easier choice is PROC GLMSELECT, which supports an OUTDESIGN= option. See the example at https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2019/10/16/visualize-regression-splines.html

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't know where that sentence came from, but it is not correct. GENMOD does not support the EFFECT statement so the OP must use GLMMIX.

DOC for EFFECT stmt: SAS Help Center: EFFECT Statement says "This section applies to the following procedures: GLIMMIX, GLMSELECT, HPMIXED, LOGISTIC, ORTHOREG, PHREG, PLS, QUANTLIFE, QUANTREG, QUANTSELECT, ROBUSTREG, SURVEYLOGISTIC, and SURVEYREG."

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

@Rick_SAS wrote:

I don't know where that sentence came from, but it is not correct. GENMOD does not support the EFFECT statement so the OP must use GLIMMIX.

Oh. 🤐
That sentence came from SAS/STAT® 15.2 User's Guide.
Statistical Graphics Using ODS
The EFFECT and EFFECTPLOT Statements
SAS Help Center: The EFFECT and EFFECTPLOT Statements

Koen

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Thanks. I have alerted the manager for that documentation. For the record, the GEE and GENMOD procedures support the EFFECTPLOT statement, but not the EFFECT statement.

jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

Use PROC GLIMMIX with the EFFECT statement.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation