BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Choi_Jay
Calcite | Level 5

I calculated the residual through the following regression analysis(with computer A and B).

proc reg data=data;
model m1=m2 m3 m4 ROA W1-W56 /*countries*/ I1-I66 Y1-Y9/ white VIF;
output out=d1 R=DA;
run; quit;

And I calculated the average of the calculated residuals for each country (W1-W56, W57), and ordered them by "proc sort" the average. I used the same data-set and sas-code except for computer (A and B).

The problem is that the ranking of the residual mean for each computer is different. The values of the residuals calculated by each computer are the same (visible, 10 decimal places), but differ from each other when the mean is calculated. For example, "2.398665E-17" and "1.878665E-17" etc.

The ttest result of the two residuals (PADA1 and PADA2) calculated by each computer is as follows.

Choi_Jay_0-1638434246739.png

Your advice is desperately needed. please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes. What you describe is well-known in numerical analysis and often happens. Different chip sets use different caches sizes, which results in round-off-sized differences (1e-16), even in simple operations such as addition.

The two analyses are equally valid, and the numbers are said to be "equal to machine precision."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes. What you describe is well-known in numerical analysis and often happens. Different chip sets use different caches sizes, which results in round-off-sized differences (1e-16), even in simple operations such as addition.

The two analyses are equally valid, and the numbers are said to be "equal to machine precision."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation