BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
stats2554
Calcite | Level 5

I have a data set with 4 groups, 5 subjects per group, at 4 timepoints (1, 2, 3, 4 hours post treatment).  I am using proc mixed with the following model:

proc mixed data=Result method=reml;
class subject treatment time;
model result = treatment time treatment*time;
<repeated or random>
lsmeans treatment / adjust=dunnett;
run; quit;

I am wondering if there are any advantages to using a repeated or random statement?  Additionally, I have seen people use the same data set and include interactions for the random statement.  Is it appropriate if I were to include the following in my random statement?:

random subject subject*treatment subject*time

1 REPLY 1
StatsMan
SAS Super FREQ

Sounds like a classic repeated measures. Seeing the data would help a bit more, but from what you describe a REPEATED statement would be the way to go. Use the TYPE= to specify the covariance structure you wish for the 4 repeated measures on each subject. If each subject received one and only one treatment, then you would not be able to estimate a SUBJECT*TREATMENT interaction. If you model TIME as a CLASS effect and have 1 observation per time point per subject, then you will not be able to model a SUBJECT*TIME interaction. It is possible to model TIME as a continuous effect and set up a random coefficients model for this data with

random int time / subject=subject

However, you get much more flexibility in the covariances with the REPEATED approach.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation