BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Musfer
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

I have a questions regarding assessing the proportionality assumption for Fine and Gray model in SAS. I looked at the available resources and I found a SAS tutorial on this, which is great.

https://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/en_ca/User%20Group%20Presentations/Vancouver-User-Group/Gondara_...

However, I was tried to reproduce the results following the same steps in the tutorial, I found that there is one step in that I could not understand. The code looks like this:

/**Checking PH assumption:Export Schoenfeld residuals from PHREG**/

proc phreg data=follic plots(overlay=stratum)=cif
covs(aggregate) out=estimates;
model dftime*cens(0)=agedecade hgb clinstg chemo /
eventcode=1;
output out=test ressch=WSR_agedecade WSR_hgb WSR_clinstg
WSR_chemo;

run;

So, this step was very clear to me. However the following step was not clear:

/**Checking PH assumption: Merge estimates with residuals and create an adjusted estimate(beta(t))**/
data schoenfeld_data;
merge test(keep=dftime by agedecade2 hgb2
clinstg2 chemo2) estimates;
by by;
rescaled_WSR_agedecade=agedecade2+agedecade;
rescaled_WSR_hgb=hgb2+hgb;
rescaled_WSR_clinstg=clinstg2+clinstg;
rescaled_WSR_chemo=chemo2+chemo;
ldftime=log(dftime+1);
label rescaled_WSR_agedecade="beta(t) of age per decade"
rescaled_WSR_hgb="beta(t) of haemoglobin"
rescaled_WSR_clinstg="beta(t) of stage"
rescaled_WSR_chemo="beta(t) of chemotherapy"
ldftime="log of time";
run;

The  used data set can be accessed through:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/stat/ex_code/143/liftcrsk.html

My questions: 

1/What is "by" in the merge statement? 

2/What are these new variables in the keep statement? 

3/Why do we have double "by by" in the by step?

4/ Is there any other ways to modify the code to calculate the rescaled residuals?

5/ Is there any ways to assess the proportionality assumptions for Fine and Gray model? 

Thanks in advance for your help?

1 REPLY 1
jarg
Fluorite | Level 6

of your 5 answers i can answer 3 - i'm not much of a stats person sorry

1) whenever multiple datasets are merged together in a DATA step a "by" statement is used as the key to join them upon - it's the same as saying table1.variable = table2.variable when joining in SQL/PROC SQL

2)  i haven't looked at the prior code but these will be variables that already exist in the TEST dataset (the naming standards in this PDF aren't great) - which leads us to the next question:

3) it looks like the authors have not followed one of the golden rules of programming - never name a variable the same thing as an existing statement/function. the two datasets are being merged together using a common key named "BY" - which you can see in the KEEP statement for the TEST dataset. using the SQL comparison again, it's the same as saying table1.by = table2.by

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation