BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lredon
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all, I'm running an univariate logistic model. With the following syntax I'm getting that the risk of event if 70% lower in patients who smoke. However, when I switch the reference category for smoker variable, I get almost the same odds: 0.313 (0.207 - 0.471) vs 0.336 (0.233 - 0.486)

I have explored the data and performed a chi-square test, and I did not find any differences between the categories (which makes sense). This is the contingency table:

Table of SMOKER by EVENTSMOKER EVENT0 1 TotalNoYesTotal

Does anybody know why this happens? Why does the logistic model fail? Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Your code with PARAM=REF and NOINT estimates the odds in the SMOKE=Yes category which is .2381/.7619. You can estimate the odds ratio if you just change to PARAM=GLM. The results from the following give the same results for the odds ratio from LOGISTIC and FREQ. With NOINT, the two parameter estimates are the log odds for the two SMOKE groups. Their difference is the log odds ratio. Exponentiating the difference is the odds ratio. 

data a; 
do smoke='n','y';
do event=0,1;
 input f@@;
 output;
end; end;
datalines;
113 38
96 30
;
proc logistic data=a;
freq f;
class SMOKE(ref='n') / param = glm;
model EVENT(event='1')= SMOKE/ noint ;
run;
proc freq data=a;
weight f;
table smoke*event/relrisk;
run;

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Impossible to read this table. Make a screen capture and then click on the "Insert Photos" icon here and include it in your reply. Also show us the PROC FREQ code used. Please also show us the code (as text) and the output (as a screen capture) from PROC LOGISTIC.

--
Paige Miller
lredon
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I attach the contingency table using proc freq and also de code and results for the logistic model:

lredon_0-1713446376565.png

proc logistic with smoker=No:

proc logistic data=An.data;
class SMOKER(ref='No') / param = REF;
model EVENT(event='1')= SMOKER/selection=none noint ctable rsquare outroc=rocdata2;
run;

lredon_1-1713446470143.png

proc logistic with reference category smoker=Yes:

class SMOKER(ref='Yes') / param = REF;
model EVENT(event='1')= SMOKER/selection=none noint ctable rsquare outroc=rocdata2;
run;

lredon_2-1713446565971.png

Thanks

ballardw
Super User

The ratios between the events for the Smoker=Yes and Smoker=No (38/113 and 30/96) are vary similar so would expect only a small change in the odds ratio.

You might compare that 38/113 = 0.336283  and 30/96= 0.3125 to the point estimate of your ratio. See any similarity after rounding to 3 decimal places?

lredon
Calcite | Level 5
Okay I get that, but how is it possible that the smoker variable is statistically significative inside my logistic model when the % of subjects in each category is so similar between subjects with event and subjects with no event?
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Your code with PARAM=REF and NOINT estimates the odds in the SMOKE=Yes category which is .2381/.7619. You can estimate the odds ratio if you just change to PARAM=GLM. The results from the following give the same results for the odds ratio from LOGISTIC and FREQ. With NOINT, the two parameter estimates are the log odds for the two SMOKE groups. Their difference is the log odds ratio. Exponentiating the difference is the odds ratio. 

data a; 
do smoke='n','y';
do event=0,1;
 input f@@;
 output;
end; end;
datalines;
113 38
96 30
;
proc logistic data=a;
freq f;
class SMOKE(ref='n') / param = glm;
model EVENT(event='1')= SMOKE/ noint ;
run;
proc freq data=a;
weight f;
table smoke*event/relrisk;
run;
lredon
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you so much! Very useful
Reeza
Super User

Your chi square references a variable event6_cat and your model references a variable event.  

I would have expected to see the same variable in both outputs for the comparison.

@lredon wrote:

Hi, I attach the contingency table using proc freq and also de code and results for the logistic model:

lredon_0-1713446376565.png

proc logistic with smoker=No:

class SMOKER(ref='No') / param = REF;
run;

lredon_1-1713446470143.png

proc logistic with reference category smoker=Yes:

class SMOKER(ref='Yes') / param = REF;
run;

lredon_2-1713446565971.png

Thanks

lredon
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry both are the same variable, just used a different when I paste the code here.
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Did you see my earlier response? It should answer your concern.
Ksharp
Super User

As @StatDave said , delete option NOINT , you would get the same result from PROC FREQ .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation