BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
YennyS
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to run a logistic model but the below code generated output without intercept. The output is essentially the same as specifying " /noint" in the model line. Can someone please shed some light?

proc logistic data = out.analysis descending;
model answer =  duration treat;
strata respid;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
That computation is the linear predictor as computed in an unconditional model (model not using the STRATA statement), and would be available using the XBETA= option in the OUTPUT statement of PROC LOGISTIC when fitting the unconditional model. Since the conditional model removes the intercept, the linear predictor is not available. The linear predictor estimates the log odds in a logistic model, but it is usually of more interest to then transform the linear predictor to obtain an estimate of the probability of the event level of the response. For a conditional model, you can estimate the conditional, stratum-specific probabilities of the event using the PRED= option in the OUTPUT statement. This again is described in the Conditional Logistic Regression section of the LOGISTIC documentation. Regarding SURVEYLOGISTIC, it does not fit the conditional model.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us the output from your PROC LOGISTIC. Screen capture is fine, please click on the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen capture in your reply. Please do NOT attach files.

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
The conditional model resulting from using the STRATA statement does not have an intercept. See "Details: Conditional Logistic Regression" in the LOGISTIC documentation and the conditional logistic example in the Examples section.
YennyS
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks! Have seen the example and details.

May I ask why there is no intercept?

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
As explained in the Details section of the LOGISTIC documentation that I referred to, the intercept and the separate intercepts that would otherwise be for the individual strata, are conditioned out by the method. The point of the conditional model, much like with GEE models, is to better assess the effects of the predictors in the model by taking into account the correlations within the strata. The intercepts that would otherwise appear are considered nuisance parameters. You can find a lot more about this method including discussion about its usage and limitations in Allison's Logistic Regression book cited in the References section of the LOGISTIC documentation and his book on Fixed Effects Regression. You can find these at RedShelf.com or Amazon.com
YennyS
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much for the explanation.

With the estimation results, if I were to reconstruct the utility derived from a certain combination of predictors, can this still be achieved without intercepts reported?

I was conceptualizing this with a logistic regression without stratification, where the utility is derived as beta_0+beta_k*X_k, where beta_0 is the intercept and X_k represents the predictors.

ballardw
Super User

@YennyS wrote:

Thank you very much for the explanation.

With the estimation results, if I were to reconstruct the utility derived from a certain combination of predictors, can this still be achieved without intercepts reported?

I was conceptualizing this with a logistic regression without stratification, where the utility is derived as beta_0+beta_k*X_k, where beta_0 is the intercept and X_k represents the predictors.

First I will say I am not sure what you are looking for.

If you think an intercept might help you might try Surveylogistic with Strata. There the Strata is treated as part of the sample design and can provide intercepts for each level of the response variable.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
That computation is the linear predictor as computed in an unconditional model (model not using the STRATA statement), and would be available using the XBETA= option in the OUTPUT statement of PROC LOGISTIC when fitting the unconditional model. Since the conditional model removes the intercept, the linear predictor is not available. The linear predictor estimates the log odds in a logistic model, but it is usually of more interest to then transform the linear predictor to obtain an estimate of the probability of the event level of the response. For a conditional model, you can estimate the conditional, stratum-specific probabilities of the event using the PRED= option in the OUTPUT statement. This again is described in the Conditional Logistic Regression section of the LOGISTIC documentation. Regarding SURVEYLOGISTIC, it does not fit the conditional model.
YennyS
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks! This is very helpful!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation