BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Cate
Calcite | Level 5

Good morning

I need your help to understand the difference of running Proc MIXED in SAS 9.3 & SAS 9.4.

The same program (same dataset) running smoothly on SAS 9.3 when I run it on SAS 9.4 returns the 'WARNING: Stopped because of infinite likelihood.'.

In the data there are no repeated values.

ods output lsmeans=STAT00;
  proc mixed data = rawda MAXFUNC=5000;
       by paramcd param;
       class usubjid studyid avisitn basecn ; 
       model chg = studyid avisitn basecn avisitn*basecn /solution;  
       repeated avisitn / subject = usubjid(studyid) ;
       lsmeans basecn*avisitn ; 
       PARMS / NOITER ; 
  run;              
ods output close;

Please help me to understand what did change.

Many thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
alexal
SAS Employee

@Cate,

What happens if you add the option singular=1e-8 in the MODEL statement in PROC MIXED?

Cate
Calcite | Level 5

@alexal Many thanks for your promptly reply!

The program runs smoothly with your option (it works with 1e-11 too).

When I run the program in SAS 9.3 & 9.4 with the same singluar=1e-8 I do expect the Least Squares Means being identical for both versions. This is not the case. I get the same Estimate, DF & Pr > |t|, but Standard Error & T values are different. Which is the reason?

Many thanks for helping me!

alexal
SAS Employee

@Cate,

You are welcome!

You can find the information on the SINGULAR= option in the PROC MIXED documentation here.

SINGULAR=number
tunes the sensitivity in sweeping. If a diagonal pivot element is less than D*number as PROC MIXED sweeps a matrix, the associated column is declared to be linearly dependent upon previous columns, and the associated parameter is set to 0. The value D is the original diagonal element of the matrix. The default is 1E4 times the machine epsilon; this product is approximately 1E–12 on most computers.

In your case, the default criterion might be too stringent. That is why I suggested the singular=1e-8 option.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation