BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cxc810
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Community,

When using a GLM gamma model with log link, is there a rule of thumb for when to specific the scale as the default, Pearson or deviance?   

I've been reading up online, but they're always answering the question for a different distribution of GLM, and I don't think any of the answers i have found are relevant for gamma models.

Moreover, in college, I did all my statistical analysis in python, and all the packages we use had Pearson as the default scale, so that has me wondering if I've been doing it wrong the whole time!

In case it helps, here is the model setup.

ods graphics on;

proc genmod data=data;

model y = x

/dist=gamma link=log  ;

run;

ods graphics off;

Thanks in advance! 

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Scaling with the SCALE= option is only needed as a way to attempt to deal with overdispersion as discussed in this note

Ksharp
Super User
Gamma distribution is for Y>0 ,which means dependent variable Y must be positive .

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation