BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisMac
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello

I was part of a randomized study in which patients received active drug or placebo (TREATMENT). The hematocrit was measured at baseline (BASELINE_HCT) and after 8 mo. (FOLLOW_UP_HCT).

I received the following code from a colleague, but I have difficulties in finding out what kind of model this is. Is it a generalized linear model where the least-squares mean is calculated?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

proc glm data=DATASET;

class TREATMENT;

model FOLLOW_UP_HCT=TREATMENT BASELINE_HCT;

lsmeans TREATMENT /pdiff stderr cl;

run;

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have to say I am troubled by the absence of patient in this model. It seems to me that a patient effect is needed here.

I also think that if you are trying to see which treatment results in the largest change in hematocrit level, you might want to treat this as a "paired" experiment rather than having FOLLOW_UP_HCT and BASELINE_HCT as separate terms in the model, you might want to look at the delta between followup and baseline as the response variable. Or you might want to see if the effectiveness of treatment depends on BASELINE_HCT, that would be different and require a different model than the one you show.

Those are the questions you ought to be asking. What the model is named is somewhat irrelevant, you will have to justify you have the right model.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation