BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
akgh84
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a dataset with a categorical outcome variable (strategy) that includes four groups. I also have three continuous (per_capita, unemployment, and hospitalsize) and three dummy variables (ownership, teaching, and membership) as predictors of the probability of using being in each of the four strategies. My data is longitudinal and I am using the Generalized Estimation Equation model. Here is my basic model:

proc gee data=paper2.strategy;
Class code year ownership (ref="0") membership (ref="0") teaching (ref="0");
model strategic_group1= per_capita unemployment hospitalsize ownership teaching membership / dist=multinomial link=glogit;
repeated subject= code/ within=year;
run;

My question is how can I conduct post hoc analyses to compare the resulted coefficients among four strategies for both continuous as well as dummy variables?

Thank You!

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If you have specific hypotheses (defined as linear combinations of the model parameters) that you want to test, then you can use the ESTIMATE statement. If you want to make comparisons among the levels of the categorical predictors, the LSMEANS statement is available.

akgh84
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your response.

I am aware of the estimate and the lsmeans statement but I am trying to compare two levels (pairwise comparisons) within my four level outcome and if I understand correctly the estimate or lsmeans statement is for the predictor variables not the outcome. Please let me know if this is not correct.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Sounds like you might have the second situation mentioned in the opening sentence of this note. If so, several approaches are presented in the corresponding section of the note.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation