BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mariko5797
Pyrite | Level 9

A study was powered for a non-inferiority test. However, the PI wants to know if a superiority test is possible now that we've seen the results, i.e., wants to claim one product is superior to the other since the GMT 95% CIs do not overlap. 

(1) Is it worth checking what the power would be with our final sample size? 

(2) If so, would I use the results I have (geometric mean and log10 SD) rather than theoretical outcomes? 

/*sample code*/
proc power;
twosamplemeans test=diff nfrac
meandiff = Actual_MeanDiff
sides = 2
alpha = 0.05
groupstddevs= (Actual_SD1 Actual_SD2)
groupNs= (Actual_N1 Actual_N2)
power = .;
run;

1 REPLY 1
Mike_N
SAS Employee

You should not compute a post-hoc power analysis. A power analysis is only useful prior to the study to estimate a reasonable target enrollment number. Once the study is complete, you can either run the superiority test or not. You will have a better idea if reviewers in your field will accept a superiority test for a trial designed to detect non-inferiority. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation