BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
julieegholm99
Calcite | Level 5

proc surveyreg data=XXX varmethod=brr(fay);
model score_m=ESCS ST004D01T IMMIG ;
weight w_fstuwt;
repweights w_fsturwt;
run;

I have used the PROC SURVEYREG in SAS with the BRR (Fay) method for my analysis of the PISA 2022 survey data. I am now uncertain whether it estimates using OLS or GLS. In my thesis, I have stated that the estimation is conducted using the OLS estimator. I am concerned that this might be incorrect. Could anyone clarify whether the estimation method is indeed OLS or if it is GLS?

xx

2 REPLIES 2
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

PROC SURVEYREG uses elementwise regression to compute the regression coefficient estimators by generalized least squares estimation. The procedure assumes that the regression coefficients are the same across strata and primary sampling units (PSUs). To estimate the variance-covariance matrix for the regression coefficients, PROC SURVEYREG uses either the Taylor series (linearization) method or replication (like BRR) methods to estimate sampling errors of estimators, based on complex sample designs.

Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Weighted least squares, to be exact. Because of the fact that weighted least squares is a special kind of generalized least squares, it is not wrong to say that the regression coefficients are estimated by generalized least squares in the SURVEYREG procedure.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation