BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Master_DiSASter
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Community,

I have an odd problem, which I cannot get my head around. I'm calculating standardized rates using PROC STDRATE (see code below). whenever I have a lot of observed events the lower confidence limit is not reported (a missing value is reproted). The problem occurs only:

•  when the number of observed events is greater than 110'000,
  •  METHOD = DIRECT and CL=GAMMA.

Anny suggestions why this problem occurs and how it can be handled?

Thanks a lot in advance and a nice day to everyone!

Kind regards,

Reto

P.S.: Because the problem is connectes to the number of observed events, I cannot provide some sample data.

ods exclude all;
proc stdrate 
data=work.ms_akut
refdata=work.resp 
     method=direct 
     cl=gamma 
     stat=rate(mult=1000)
;
population 
     event=obs_type 
     total=pop 
;
reference 
     total=pop_resp
;
strata sex age_class ;
by canton   
ods output StdRate=output_stdrate;
run;
ods exclude none;

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

For some data, the gamma-based confidence limits cannot be derived. In these cases a limit might be shown as missing. There should be a message about this in the SAS log. You might consider using a different distribution in the CL= option. 

Master_DiSASter
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot for your response.

Could you give more insight why "gamma-based confidence limits cannot be derived" for some data? Is there a mathematical or a convergence problem? Is there a connection to the number of observed events? 

With reference to recent literature I would prefer to us the gamma method in connection with directly standardized rates. See for example:

https://pophealthmetrics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12963-018-0177-1

Thanks again and have a nice day,

Reto  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation