BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
patrick5
Calcite | Level 5

I was asked to help out with planning a study of cancer survival based on transcriptome analysis.  As part of that, the PI has requested a power analysis.

We will be able to enroll 300 subjects over three years, with an additional year of follow-up and minimal to no losses to follow-up.  However, there is no reasonable way to estimate survival times or hazard ratios for the two groups, as the groups will not even be defined until at least mid-way through the study, so anything I enter for GROUPMEDSURVTIMES or HAZARDRATIO (or similar) would be making numbers up entirely out of thin air.  Instead of a "typical" power analysis, i.e. estimating how many subjects needed (or the expected power given the number of subjects), I am wondering if it is possible to instead estimate the hazard ratio given the sample size, 1:1 allocation, power of 0.8, and duration of study.  From the documentation it appears that HAZARDRATIO is not amenable to this, but I'm hoping there is a workaround or some other means of generating something useful.

PROC POWER;
   TWOSAMPLESURVIVAL TEST = LOGRANK
      HAZARDRATIO = .
      ACCRUALTIME = 3
      TOTALTIME = 4
      NTOTAL = 300
      POWER = 0.8
   ;
RUN;

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

There's absolutely no prior research on this topic to give you any estimates of HR to get started?

However, there is no reasonable way to estimate survival times or hazard ratios for the two groups, as the groups will not even be defined until at least mid-way through the study, so anything I enter for GROUPMEDSURVTIMES or HAZARDRATIO (or similar) would be making numbers up entirely out of thin air.  

patrick5
Calcite | Level 5

I have an overall median survival time for the cancer in question, but (for a variety of reasons) absolutely no way to estimate how that survival might differ between groups. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation