BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EricVanceMartin
Obsidian | Level 7

I am as new to IRT as a freshly hatched chick. I recognize this is a more general IRT question, but maybe 

I am exploring the results from an instrument in which all items have a five-point Likert response set. The responses reflect ordinal phases of policy adoption, in which 1 represents no consideration of the policy and 5 represents full implementation. IRT here models respondent policy responsiveness ("ability"), policy implementation "difficulty," and item discrimination with a graded response model. 

My variables have two factors. After sussing out the factors, I have run PROC IRT for each factor separately in order to look at the ICCs and Item Information Curves. As I expect, the legend of the Item Characteristic Curves panels shows values 1-5, corresponding to the values of the responses, with colored lines.

I have noticed that for items in which the Item Information Curve peaks over a negative value of the latent trait, the peaks of the curves for the responses are generally ordered in a way that makes sense-- at a low level of the trait, the most frequent response is "1," or no consideration.

However, for items in which the IIC peaks over a positive value of the trait, the response curves are generally reversed--at a low level of the trait, the most frequent response is "5," or full implementation. On the one hand, this makes sense in that "easy" policies should be more frequently implemented by less "able" respondents. On the other hand, it does not make sense to me that "easy" policies should be less likely to be implemented by more "able" respondents. 

There's clearly something I don't understand here or something very wrong with my conceptualization of what the data reflect. I'm hoping it's the former. Can you shed any light?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EricVanceMartin
Obsidian | Level 7

OK, after more experimenting, I now see that when the items in the two factors are entered separately, their coefficients can be dramatically different from when they are entered together.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
EricVanceMartin
Obsidian | Level 7

I should clarify that it doesn't make sense for "less able" respondents to implement "easier" policies more frequently. In fact, it seems to me that the probability of full implementation should still still increase across the latent trait, just less less steeply.

In any case, a couple of thoughts. Some item do have negative slopes, but it did not look like this was associated with what I'm seeing in the graphs.... er, should it?

In addition, in regard to the item information curve peaking over a negative or positive value of the latent trait, the items in the factors have this characteristic in common (i.e., either all peaking over a positive value or all peaking over a negative value). 

EricVanceMartin
Obsidian | Level 7

OK, after more experimenting, I now see that when the items in the two factors are entered separately, their coefficients can be dramatically different from when they are entered together.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation