BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ashlicole
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Friends, I'm hoping you can help with a modeling conundrum. 

I'm modeling some cost data using generalized linear models (PROC GENMOD). I have multiple observations per person, so I've included the REPEATED statement to account for the correlation between values for the same patient. However, I'm a little confused by the results. As I understand it, including a repeated statement shouldn't change the model estimates, just the CIs/SEs. But I noticed that changing the covariance structure from compund symmetric to autoregressive DOES change the estimates (and by a non-negligible amount!). This is making me wonder if I'm doing something wrong in my code... I've pasted my code below. Aany insight into why I might be getting unexpected changes in the model estimate as a result of changing the covariance structure??

proc genmod data=forreg  ;
class id bg year / param=ref ref=first;
model pay = bg year bg*year/ link=log dist=gamma;
repeated subject=id /type=cs ;
run; 

1 REPLY 1
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

The GEE algorithm is an iterative algorithm that solves for both the parameter estimates and the covariance matrix so you should expect to see differences in both the parameters and the standard errors.

There will be more specific details here

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_genmod_detai...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation